Auto advancer

More
12 May 2015 18:17 #671836 by Roblogan
Auto advancer was created by Roblogan
My bike has been running hot after about 30mins of riding but noticeably hot valve tap and power loss. I took apart the carbs bench synced them and did the float sync with the clear tube put new prints and rebuil the carbs, after that it was running great a lot more power and more responsive. But after a few days and some longer rides nothing major but hour or so it was down on power very hot and backfiring over 5000 took a look at the plugs and they were white, I have the stock airbox boots and filter on and stock jetting. But the advancer is free and moving at 3000 rpm but I do not see a change in timing marks after the advancer moves out. What should I be seeing. Because what it seems like to me is that the advancer is moving freely but not changing the timing over 3000 rpm letting me get realy hot lose lose power and start backfiring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2015 20:14 #671865 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Auto advancer
Sorry I did not see what bike or year this one is ...
So assuming it is an old gronk like mine,
with the engine dead stopped, the lobe of the advance mechanism should be able to rotate clockwise.
Meaning, if the crank shaft is rotating clockwise, the lobe should be able to rotate clockwise a bit further, by a few degrees... about 20 to 30 degrees depending on what bike it is installed in... etc.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 May 2015 20:17 #671866 by SWest

More
12 May 2015 23:12 #671890 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Auto advancer
Did you remove the timing advancer to clean, check & lubricate it?

More
13 May 2015 08:49 #671933 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Auto advancer
The advancer does not move much above 3000 rpm, and depending on the model, might not move at all above 3000. Do you have a manual? It will show what the timing advance should be.

More
13 May 2015 11:36 #671947 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Auto advancer

loudhvx wrote: The advancer does not move much above 3000 rpm, and depending on the model, might not move at all above 3000. Do you have a manual? It will show what the timing advance should be.

Good point.. How do you know what it is supposed to look like with a timing light if you have no manual?
Mine at 900rpm idle has the light flashing at the 'F" mark and at around 2800 rpm it is flashing the "image", way over at the mark near the pin holding the throw out weight.... just pretty much like in the manual

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
13 May 2015 12:20 #671949 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Auto advancer
White tip on the spark plug can indicate a lean condition. It should be a light gray or tan. Lean would be consistent with your other symptoms of hotter cylinder temps and backfire, especially on deceleration.

More
13 May 2015 13:03 #671956 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Auto advancer

Roblogan wrote: My bike has been running hot after about 30mins of riding but noticeably hot valve tap and power loss. I took apart the carbs bench synced them and did the float sync with the clear tube put new prints and rebuil the carbs, after that it was running great a lot more power and more responsive. But after a few days and some longer rides nothing major but hour or so it was down on power very hot and backfiring over 5000 took a look at the plugs and they were white.

Pods and straight pipes?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 May 2015 13:33 #671960 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Auto advancer
He did say stock airbox and jetting. No mention of pipes. What clip position is the needle jet? Might try raising the needle (lower the clip) and see if it helps. I'm assuming your rides are probably extended periods in the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range. The hot valve tap may actually be pre-ignition/detonation (ping) from hot spots in the cylinder.

More
13 May 2015 16:41 #671981 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Auto advancer
Depending on what year his bike is the jetting can be border line lean
from the factory to meet the EPA reg.'s then add ethanol fuel it will be even leaner.
Also the ethanol blends do not color the plugs like pure gas so plug reading's can be wrong.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.