V&H Baffle modification

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
09 May 2015 21:10 - 09 May 2015 21:14 #671312 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic V&H Baffle modification
Yes, crazy loud. I have a straight through pipe, handmade and tuned to the motor's cam timing by the length, I got the formulae from this tuning book.

books.google.co.uk/books/about/Four_stro...html?id=OTOYHRSX_XcC

It sounds awesome but I added a baffle to quieten it down, it did take the edge off the rpm power though.

On this I'd experiment a bit with wire wool packing and modifying the baffle.

Think of it like a silencer on a firearm, slowing the velocity of the gases exiting the muzzle reduces the noise. Loud pipes you can really feel it firing out of the back from a couple of feet away.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 09 May 2015 21:14 by Tyrell Corp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeff80kz1000e2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2015 19:13 #671449 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic V&H Baffle modification
:huh: What effect should one expect to encounter on jetting, when changing from the "street" to "competition" baffle, without fiberglass packing?

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 May 2015 21:13 #671466 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic V&H Baffle modification
That depends on the carbs you have. At least on jet size up on both the pilot and main.
Steve

• jeff80kz1000e2
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2015 10:37 - 11 May 2015 10:46 #671539 by jeff80kz1000e2
Replied by jeff80kz1000e2 on topic V&H Baffle modification
Good info from everyone, thx!

I actually am in the process of tuning this VH 4 into 1 that we are talking about. Bike is stock with minor changes.

Dyna coils
Stock air box with K& N
V&H 4 into 1 wide open
Just put the exhaust and air box on this season
Bike has VM28 carbs, rebuilt, synched, etc
Stock set up is the following:
Air screws 1 1/8
Pilots 15
Mains 110

Here is the interesting part and also why I was so interested in doing something a bit less than the wide open pipe. I'm guessing somewhere there is technical data to back up what I was experiencing sound wise coming out of that open pipe ( again always with a helmet on ). I prefer the wide open pipe and I have been tuning the bike for it as well.

1st tune
Pilots = no change
Mains = 115, +2 from stock
Wide open throttle bike lost power and fuel starved somewhere about 7500 rpm + -
With my helmet on the bike was loud as expected, but it was also sending an ear piercing frequency / vibration through my helmet that was unbearable and intolerable.

Without boring everyone with my progression of tuning I will fast forward to now. So as I have went up on jet sizes both pilot and mains , the bike is still loud ( but bearable with my helmet on ), but the ear peircing intolerable sound I was experiencing previously when the bike was lean has disappeared. Theres got to be some tech data to back this up somewhere, cuz I aint crazy or delusional!!

Currently here is where I am at:
Just to recap: stock airbox with K&N, VH 4 into 1 wide open.

Current tune is the following:
Air Screws = 1 turn out
Pilots = 20
Mains = 120
I have only put on about 10 miles so far, so I am not certain shes 100% tuned, but shes dam close. Idles good, holds speed on the pilot circuit at highway speeds ( wasnt previously without fuel starvation/ hesitation ). Strong midrange, but still a tiny bit of lack of fuel at wide open. ( I still might test / tune +1 more size on the mains to correct the slight bit of lean at wide open throttle)

I am going to test / tune the air screws with this current set up. Previously when I experienced lean hesitation at cruising speed on the pilot circuit I could counteract it by richening the mixture but then she stumbled and was too rich at idle ( if Im not mistaken they say tuning the air fuel mixture you always go for the highest idle ) therefore I went +1 at that point on the pilots and it was corrected.

Sorry this thread kinda turned into my tuning thread!! Seems like currently I got her about 98% tuned.

Forgot to add that at one point I tried the baffle with no packing and it was much too quiet for my liking, and as the earpeircing sound went away I think I will stick with wide open.
Last edit: 11 May 2015 10:46 by jeff80kz1000e2.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 May 2015 14:08 #671572 by SWest
There's a vid on you tube I think from S&s about baffling verses no baffling. They tested them on a dyno. The open pipes made more ponies with a bolt in the end. Not much but it was there. You need some back pressure to make power in the mid and top end.
Steve

• jeff80kz1000e2
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2015 14:51 #671577 by jeff80kz1000e2

swest wrote: There's a vid on you tube I think from S&s about baffling verses no baffling. They tested them on a dyno. The open pipes made more ponies with a bolt in the end. Not much but it was there. You need some back pressure to make power in the mid and top end.
Steve

Right on, thx. I did a quick utube search and didn't see it, if you come across it could you post the link?
Good info to know. If in fact I try one more size bigger on the mains and cant quite get the top end power 100% I will not lose sleep over it.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 May 2015 15:57 #671587 by SWest

• jeff80kz1000e2
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2015 16:07 #671591 by jeff80kz1000e2

swest wrote: Yeah, until I walk away from you. :woohoo:
Steve

Ha! I aint done tuning her yet. What kind of set up you talkin about that your gonna walk on me?!
:angry:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 May 2015 16:28 #671598 by SWest
1015 overbore, 1X Andrews cams, 33 mm Miks V/H 4/1 with competition baffle Dyna S, 3 OHM coils and one crazy SOB. Just joking. There's no Z1 or KZ's to play with out here. I saw one yesterday while coming home, almost turned around and chased him down. I decided not to. He'd think I was a fruit or something.
Steve

• jeff80kz1000e2
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2015 16:50 - 11 May 2015 16:56 #671613 by jeff80kz1000e2

swest wrote: 1015 overbore, 1X Andrews cams, 33 mm Miks V/H 4/1 with competition baffle Dyna S, 3 OHM coils and one crazy SOB. Just joking. There's no Z1 or KZ's to play with out here. I saw one yesterday while coming home, almost turned around and chased him down. I decided not to. He'd think I was a fruit or something.
Steve

Lol, nice set up. Every now and then I get the itch to ride it like I stole it! I had my fun with a GSXR 750 back in early 2000 at the track topping her out etc when I was in the early 20's & felt the need to do mach1 with my hair on fire. Now the old kz is plenty to keep me entertained !

Yeah, your gonna walk whether Im 98% tuned or 100%. I see a few KZ's every now and then around the Chicago area / suburbs but like you said few and far between...

You had her on the dyno or any time slips?
Last edit: 11 May 2015 16:56 by jeff80kz1000e2.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 May 2015 17:03 #671618 by SWest
I did that in my terrible 20's in the mid 70's. Lyons raceway, Malibu Canyon, anywhere I could find someone to race. I had a offer of a sponsorship but they wouldn't supply the bike. They wanted me to race mine. They would set it up but if I broke it, it was my loss. NO DEAL. Things changed after that and I moved away.
Out here it's open road and I can't help grabbing a hand full now and then. Keeps me young.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 May 2015 17:08 #671619 by SWest
Never had her on the Dyno. Still working on her. My neighbor has a test only and I've talked to him about it. If not there, maybe soon somewhere else.
Steve