Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More
05 May 2015 20:47 #670831 by Kodymadro
Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ was created by Kodymadro
As I'm sure its a pretty common problem. My Screws are stripped and/or won't budge. Does any one have any tips or tricks for removing these with out damaging the cover and/or would any one care to share any threads on this topic. i couldn't seem to find the answers i wanted.

Do the "easy out" screw extractors work well?

Wheres the best place to get replacement KZ screws?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2015 20:53 #670832 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've always been able to get them out by using a hammer driven impact screwdriver.
When you get them out.... throw them all away and never be tempted to use JIS screws again...
GET stainless steel ALLEN heads!!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
05 May 2015 21:24 - 05 May 2015 21:28 #670834 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
+1 on the impact driver. JIS screws are fine as long as you use the proper tool. There is a very recent thread about them. If some are broken off, use te impact driver , preferably with the proper JIS bit, to get the rest out. If you can then remove the cover, you might be able to grab the stubs with vice grip pliers and turn them out. Heavy, repeated soaking with Kroil or some such, may help.
Some pics may help bring good advice for particularly problematic ones.

Easy outs can cause bigger problems than you already have. I'd recommend avoiding them.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 05 May 2015 21:28 by TexasKZ.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 May 2015 21:25 #670835 by SWest
Attachments:

More
05 May 2015 21:28 #670837 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yea, you need an impact driver. No way to remove the case screws without one. However if in fact the screws are rusted into their holes, don't use a screw extractor, as they are useless junk. All you will do is break the extractor in the screw, then you're screwed big time because it can't be drilled out.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 May 2015 21:35 #670841 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, I've had to pound on them to loosen them enough to extract them with a magnet. Waste of a lot of time and had to drill out the screw and use inserts anyway. :angry:
Steve

More
06 May 2015 04:54 - 06 May 2015 04:55 #670856 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Try heating the screw head with a butane torch, which will heat both the steel screw and the female aluminum threads, whereby the aluminum expands more than the steel to hopefully relax the grip between the threads.

Use an impact wrench while the parts remain piping hot.
A hand impact wrench should work okay.
If available, an air powered impact wrench might also help.

When replacing the screws, would consider first applying some anti-seize compound to the screw threads.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 06 May 2015 04:55 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 May 2015 04:59 #670857 by SWest

More
06 May 2015 05:19 #670860 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Get a good one, you will have it for the rest of your life!

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750
Attachments:

More
06 May 2015 05:32 #670864 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TexasKZ wrote: ...impact driver , preferably with the proper JIS bit....

Should be able to modify the Philips head bit that's usually included with the impact driver kit so that the bit will better match the JIS screw heads.

650ed has a good thread on how to modify and convert the Philips head bit into a JIS bit.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 May 2015 05:39 - 06 May 2015 05:40 #670865 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
BEFORE you try to remove the stuck screws do yourself a huge favor and soak them with Kroil for 3 days. This stuff breaks the corrosive bond between the threads and makes it much, much easier to remove the fasteners. I have used it on several different fasteners that had been in place for more than 30 years and they always came out without a struggle (and in fact without an impact driver even though I have one). You may not want to wait until you get Kroil, but wait anyway. Otherwise you may spend much more time trying to repair damage that you cause by fighting with the screws. It really does work!!!

Use a JIS screwdriver bit on any crossheads screws. Those screws look like Phillips, but they are NOT Phillips, and trying to remove them with a Phillips screwdriver will create a problem. Just ASK if you need further info on JIS screwdriver bits.

Kroil can be ordered online or some good gunshops carry it. Here's more info on it:

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/59672...k-need-advice#656244

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 06 May 2015 05:40 by 650ed.

More
06 May 2015 05:40 #670866 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Stripped Engine Screws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Impact driver. heat. vibration. penetrant. time.

For the stripped heads you might be able to cut slots into them using a dremel, then use an impact driver. A penetrant might help --- give it time to work --- overnight or longer. Kroil is supposed to be best. Liquid wrench penetrating spray lubricant is good, readily available, & cheap. pb blaster didn't do as good in a test floating around the internet.

When using heat, you have to be mindful of any wiring n stuff nearby.
Vibration: you can use a wood block & mallet to help loosen the threads --- spray the penetrant first, then tap tap tap the screws. Let it sit a while, then do it again. Next day, same thing. Then use the impact driver.