Any hot tips on getting motor out of frame?

More
27 Apr 2015 07:21 #669737 by apbling
Hi All.
About to swap 550 motors between daily rider and parts bike. I did this a few years ago, but I had the top end off, so it was significantly lighter and less top heavy. My thought was to have my motorcycle jack with some plywood raised up next to the bike, same height as the lower frame member. Then I was going to take my floor jack with some scrap wood on it and lift the motor just enough to clear the frame and then have a friend help me "shimmy" it over to my motorcycle jack.

I don't have a cherry picker or overhead winch. About all I have is a timber across my trusses in the garage and a ratchet strap...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2015 07:57 #669742 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Any hot tips on getting motor out of frame?
Having two people is main thing. The 550 motor is light, but it helps to take off as much as possible. I usually have the alternator and starter off, and of course the carbs and sprocket cover. Then It's easy to take out, even with one person, but installation will require two people to prevent a lot of scratching of the frame. Make sure the bike is stable. It's going to want to fall over. Obviously it comes out toward the right.

Don't grab the clutch rod!

I assume you have the coils and airbox off. I can't rememebr if the horn interferes (never had one).

More
27 Apr 2015 08:34 #669744 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Any hot tips on getting motor out of frame?
Yep, carbs, coils, horn all off. Airbox too. side panels. I'll need to take the shifter off and most likely the rear brake pedal.

I was going to leave the bike on the center stand - will this not work?

More
27 Apr 2015 09:33 #669753 by loudhvx
I usually have the bike on the center stand, plus a very wide, stable support for the front, underside of the frame rails. The engine is what anchors the bike when on the center stand. When you start messing with the engine, the weight shifts front to back and the center stand becomes a rocking point.

Also, tie something on the center stand to the frame so it can't fold upward. Sometimes if you start to lean forward the bike rolls and up goes the stand.

At the very least, lock the steering and chock the front wheel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

More
27 Apr 2015 09:49 #669755 by apbling
ok. yeah, having that stand fold up would be cause for epic cursing, and I live in a suburb with lots of little ears running around in the yards.

More
27 Apr 2015 10:37 #669760 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Any hot tips on getting motor out of frame?
I used the Ancra style self cinching hauling tie-downs as an improvised bike lift for years. Put 4 eyebolts in your roof trusses or loop soft strap extensions around an open truss. Hook a tie-down to each corner of the bike with the tie-downs angled just slightly outward. Raise it by rocking the bike from side to side, cinching up each corner 2-3 inches at a time. It only takes a few minutes with no heavy lifting to have the bike hanging a foot off the ground. Total investment is probably $30 and It's always good to have a set of tie-downs for emergency hauling anyway.
With a "lift" now available, I would remove both wheels and put the frame on the ground for removing/installing the engine.

More
27 Apr 2015 12:06 - 27 Apr 2015 12:10 #669770 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Any hot tips on getting motor out of frame?
I should know how to link a thread by now but I don't. Search "Easiest way to get a engine out" if you would please .... its about 4 months old and has some good tips with pics ...... I used Bluej58's method a couple years ago and it worked out really good and easier than I thought it would be.

Will be doing it again soon myself for a starter clutch problem and have it all ready except for removing the mounts.

Good call on locking the center stand too guys...... I remember blocking the front wheel but will do both this time.

Edit ..... should a read your question totally first ....sounds like you did it j ;) ust like we did.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2015 12:10 by KZB2 650.

More
27 Apr 2015 12:34 #669772 by loudhvx
Yes, for the bigger motors there are a lot of good tricks. I think I saw Bluejay's trick. But the 550 motor is small enough that nothing really extreme needs to be done. I've gotten them in and out myself with not too much trouble, but a second person helps prevent frame scratching on the install. Laying the frame down might have headaches with oil or brake fluid.

More
27 Apr 2015 20:50 #669823 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Any hot tips on getting motor out of frame?
You've got it figured I think. The way I always removed a KZ650 engine was to make a table next to the bike of plywood supported by cinder blocks in the approximate height the engine is in the frame, then jack the engine up to clear the frame, heft it over to the table. I always did it alone, but having two would make it a lot easier without a doubt if you can trust your helper to not drop his side. I never trusted anyone enough to let them help. There are lot of guys that can't lift 50Lbs I've found over the years. Do it yourself and no worry about others dropping your engine on concrete.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
13 May 2015 06:14 #671907 by apbling
Well, I got it out. It definitely took some maneuvering to get it out. I almost didn't think it was going to come out for a while with the jugs and head on. Now the fun part will be getting it back in. Sure hope that the 81 and 82 LTD motors are interchangeable.... ugh.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2015 07:30 #671920 by SWest
I had the guy next door try to help me with just the bottom end. I don't speak German but you would think so by the way he was acting. He got it cocked sideways so bad it wouldn't budge. I sent him home and used my little floor jack jockey it around enough so it would fit the mounts. The next day I rode by him and he had that WTF look on his face. MORON. He's the only one of my neighbors Pluto wanted to bight. He moved away and I was glad to see him go. The kind of guy that would come over, ask stupid questions and for a beer, get mad when told it's too early and stomp away. What he didn't realize is, I have all kinds of tools that can be thrown with deadly accuracy. He almost found out. :evil:
Steve