spring has sprung and 550 fumes are in the air!

More
13 Apr 2015 07:39 #667777 by apbling
Hi all.
Going to start my 550 engine swap soon and was going to run past my plan of attack for comments/support. I have an 82 550 LTD that I holed a piston a few years back. It runs ok, but the holed piston has a little lower compression than the rest and one of them is burning oil - I don't think its the weak cylinder though, its plug looks fine. Anyway, I snagged a complete 81 w/ title and 7k miles for 300 over the winter. My plan goes like this:
1. Check valve clearances in parts motor.
2. Check compression in parts motor (it had I believe 135 psi on each in the dead of winter...like at 5 deg F)
3. Put carbs from running bike on parts bike and fire up, run through the gears to make sure lower end is ok
4. Pull motor on parts bike, clean up, throw a coat of paint on head, jugs etc.
5. Pull motor on good bike.
6. Drop parts motor into good bike
7. Synch carbs for this motor (my current carbs are synched with
7. Enjoy - until base gasket gets bad enough (little bit of a seep) to do top end re-freshen.

Now, a few comments and questions.
1. I'd like to swap clutch cover, sprocket, stator and advance covers - mine are in better shape than parts bike
2. Not sure if I leave the clutch plates and discs in there or put mine in there - I think the PO said its a newer clutch.
3. I'll swap from sprockets - mine is almost new
4. I need some advice on how to best clean the motor to paint it - smple green and tooth brush and soda blast? I sand blasted my current one when it was apart, but that was a bugger cleaning all the crap out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.