Replacing shift fork on KZ1000ST

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Mar 2015 11:11 #664623 by mtbspeedfreak
Replacing shift fork on KZ1000ST was created by mtbspeedfreak
Hey folks,

To replace the shift drum and forks on a KZ1000 ST [shaft-drive], do the cases need to be split or can it be done by removing the oil pan and transmission cover?

Thanks!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Mar 2015 11:18 #664627 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Replacing shift fork on KZ1000ST
You have to split the cases. What makes you think the forks need changing?
Steve

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Mar 2015 11:56 #664632 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Replacing shift fork on KZ1000ST

swest wrote: You have to split the cases. What makes you think the forks need changing?
Steve

I don't know. I'm asking for a very competent and mechanically-inclined [borderline genius] friend of mine. haha

2000 ZRX 1100

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
16 Mar 2015 13:08 - 16 Mar 2015 13:10 #664640 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Replacing shift fork on KZ1000ST

mtbspeedfreak wrote:

swest wrote: You have to split the cases. What makes you think the forks need changing?
Steve

I don't know. I'm asking for a very competent and mechanically-inclined [borderline genius] friend of mine. haha

Split cases?........yes and no. There are three forks, two are on a (roughly) 12 mm. shaft that don't need the cases to be split.....they can be changed by drawing out the shaft partially from the underside of the motor (oil pan removed) The third one is on a larger drum (I believe that is the 2nd gear shifter) that do require cases to be split. That is the situation on my 77 KZ 1000, hopefully it's the same on the ST but I don't know for sure
HTH :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
Last edit: 16 Mar 2015 13:10 by bluezbike.

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Mar 2015 14:31 #664650 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Replacing shift fork on KZ1000ST

bluezbike wrote:

mtbspeedfreak wrote:

Steve

Split cases?........yes and no. There are three forks, two are on a (roughly) 12 mm. shaft that don't need the cases to be split.....they can be changed by drawing out the shaft partially from the underside of the motor (oil pan removed) The third one is on a larger drum (I believe that is the 2nd gear shifter) that do require cases to be split. That is the situation on my 77 KZ 1000, hopefully it's the same on the ST but I don't know for sure
HTH :)

Thank you for the very detailed response! I'll pass this information on.

2000 ZRX 1100

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Mar 2015 14:48 #664653 by SWest
The small ones usually don't have to be changed. PITA to do it anyway. Likely it's not the fork and the large one is beefier than the Z1's. 2ND gear dogs get worn causing jumping out of gear. 2ND gear on the input and output shafts have to be replaced with the cases open. They can be under cut so they will stay together under hard load. If they are worn enough to pop out of gear, replace them. (common problem). The transmissions are the same Z1- KZ 1000. I don't know about the J model. The Old Kaw Man has transmissions and a lot of other parts at good prices.
Good thing. The cases can be split without pulling the head. Once in there the oil pump should be checked. He has a lot of them too. In my opinion he is better than eBay. The parts I've got from him are top notch.
After all that, It's commonly the shifting arm behind the counter shaft sprocket. The return spring can develop a crack and be weak, the spring on the shift arm selector can break, etc. That should be checked first before cracking open the cases like a egg.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Mar 2015 07:01 #664712 by SWest
This is the shifting arm and spring. I got it from oink johnson on eBay. It was rusty and he said the splines were good. They're not. I should have checked the Old Kaw Man first.
Before tearing into the cases this should be checked first.
Steve

Attachments: