82 - clean carbs, plugs work -still not running

More
12 Mar 2015 14:18 #664221 by Mds2012
Hello everyone! Me and my brother have basic knowledge of motorcycles so bare with us. We just bought a kz650 82. The owner before us "claims" to have done everything to get this bike to work but still nothing...

When we electric start it, it sounds like its not firing. It'll turn and turn but wont every fire up and run.
SO! we went in, checked the carburetors all were clean except one. One on the end had something like black sand in it. not sure why.. all the jets were clean. it had gas in the them. the bobs werent stuck or anything.
We then looked at the spark plugs. All of them spark (if there firing on time or not, im not sure).
we're not sure where to go from here. I was thinking the compression? but dont have a compression tester.

now, we were thinking that it was seized because there was no oil in it when we checked... maybe like 2 tbls worth. so I pushed started it with the spark plugs out and the pistons moved. The battery is also dead and we havent gotten a new one yet. so we just use a car and jumper cables to crank it. (could it be that it just needed full oil and a new battery because the battery is too dead that the jump wont even start it?... or could it be worse like a cracked cylinder)?

Please if you have any ideas where we could go from here that would be great!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2015 15:10 #664229 by TexasKZ
Please don't try to start it without the proper amount of the correct oil in it. Hundreds of dollars worth of damage can happen pretty quickly.
A good, fully charged battery is essential for starting. Jumping from a car should get it started, but to be safe, the car should not be running. A new, fully charged bike battery is best.
Are the carbs getting fuel? The junk you found in one of them could be clogging up the tiny passageways, preventing starting. The tank may need cleaning, and an inline filter would be a really good idea. At any rate, search this site for "clear tube method." that will let you know if all four carbs are getting fuel and if the fuel level is correct. If the bike sat for a long time, the carbs could still be clogged, the fuel petcock could be clogged or malfunctioning and there could be serious rust in the tank.
Also, although the plugs are sparking, it could be too weak. Are the sparks blue and fat, or wimpy and yellow? A careful testing of the ignition components might reveal a weak spot.
Good compression is also necessary. If the bike sat up for a long time, the rings could be stuck and letting compression blow by. Some easy running can free them. If the previous owner ran it for long without oil, there could be serious internal problems.
Take one system at a time, fuel, spark, compression, and carefully insure that it is working as designed. Good luck.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
12 Mar 2015 18:07 #664260 by 650ed
It's a motorcycle, NOT a car.

Trying to start it using jumper cables from a vehicle that is running can quickly fry the bike's electrical system. Don't even put the key in it again until you buy a new battery. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Mar 2015 19:21 #664267 by SWest
Again, I agree. Also try switching the wires going to the points. He may have them reversed.
Steve

More
12 Mar 2015 21:20 #664275 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic 82 - clean carbs, plugs work -still not running
Why will it fry anything?

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
12 Mar 2015 22:02 #664281 by TexasKZ

missionkz wrote: Why will it fry anything?

If you are asking about jump starting from a car or pickup, the answer is maybe. If the car or truck is not running, there is relatively little chance of a problem. If the vehicle is running, there is a much greater risk because automotive alternators generate far more amperage than motorcycle electrical systems are designed for.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
16 Mar 2015 13:18 #664644 by Mds2012
Alright thanks for the advice!

I was able to get a new battery, new spark plugs and the right amount of oil.

So when I went to fire it up after about 10 sec of cranking it it had a small backfire. I did some research and was finding that it could be bad timing? So I checked the timing plates and they look new and the instructions to adjust them don't make sense to how mines set up..
Oh, ( cylinders 1 -4 is from left to right correct?) If so the spark plug coils were on the wrong spots. I switched them to what I think is correct and tried to turn it over again. Come to find it started misfiring even more! It sounded like little firecrackers in the cylinders every 4 to 5 seconds. So I stopped. Don't wanna damage anything. I checked the plugs. 1 was dry 2 had a little of gas, and 3 and 4 where wet as well but a little bit more dirty.
So!! Where should I go from here?? I have no idea what to check or repair or tune next... What's your guys's ideas???
Thanks!

Attachment image.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
16 Mar 2015 13:26 - 16 Mar 2015 13:29 #664645 by 650ed
Yes, the cylinders are 1 through 4 left to right as seen when sitting on the bike.

The wires from the left side of the ignition pickup module will attach to one coil. The spark plug wires from that coil should attach to spark plugs for cylinders #1 and #4.

The wires from the right side of the ignition pickup module will attach to one coil. The spark plug wires from that coil should attach to spark plugs for cylinders #2 and #3.

Ed

Attachment 00003b_2015-03-16-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Mar 2015 13:29 by 650ed.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Mar 2015 15:35 #664658 by SWest
Very good Ed. #1 being dry tells me the pilot jet is clogged. It can run on 3 on a running bike but if it's sat for a long time, It won't want to start. No compression tester? Put your thumb over the spark plug holes and turn it over. If you can hold it there, no runable compression. Try starting fluid. Once it gets started, the rings could start seating again and run better and better.
Steve

More
16 Mar 2015 18:59 #664686 by Mds2012
Okay i checked the compression with my thumb and #1 and 2 had a very strong push but 3 was weak and 4 was a little stronger but not as strong as 1 and 2. Would that be causing it not want to start up?

I sprayed some starter fluid and it still just does those little fire cracker sounds once, twice, maybe three times then nothing,
I did get some smoke to come out the exsast though.
Should I go back to checking the carbs to make sure there tuned correctly? And also checking the compression on 3 ? And if so how do I go with doing that? Maybe another website or manual that can help explain those tests and tune ups.

Thanks again guys for your advice! It's really helping!