Stator leak advice

More
04 Mar 2015 18:00 #663496 by brich
Stator leak advice was created by brich
OK, I haven't posted on here in years. I also haven't ridden for years. I am fixing the bike back up. I had rebuilt it some years back with the help of many of you.

I put a new gasket and rubber grommet on the stator cover and it has leaked ever since. Small drip, but very annoying and occasionally makes it way to the pipe for a nice smoke-fest. Anyone else had this problem after putting new gaskets on? Any advice on this? Any gasket companies better than others? Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on where to get a rebuilt kit for Mikuni Smoothbores? I have 29's I think. Man it has been awhile. I just remember they were the expensive ones everyone wanted.

Thanks,
Brian

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Mar 2015 18:09 #663498 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Stator leak advice
I bought a new grommet from Z1E. I filled behind it too. You have to splice the wires. The woven cover is where it leaks. I put some Crazy glue where the grommet would go to seal the woven part. Cleaned it first with carb spray. I know, I hate oil on my foot too. Lived with it for too long.
I get my gaskets from a seller on eBay. He's fast and the gaskets are good at a fair price.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: brich

More
04 Mar 2015 18:14 #663499 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Stator leak advice
Ahh .. the crazy glue. I wonder if I can hit off that fix without taking the cover back off!

Thanks for the advice swest.

I actually just ordered the new gasket and grommet from Z1.

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Mar 2015 06:16 #663522 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Stator leak advice
In order to replace the grommet you have to cut and splice the three yellow wires. I did it inside the cover. Next time I will do it on the out side past where they go into the clutch cover. Soldering the wires was a pain in the A. Not a lot of room to work. Oily wires and insulation. On the out side, it will be easier to clean and the splice/shrink tubing will be hidden by the cover. The crazy glue is just to keep oil from weeping through the woven part. Let it dry, then put the grommet on. I use high temp. copper silicon inside and out. Just wipe off the excess before it cures.
Steve

More
05 Mar 2015 12:24 #663561 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic Stator leak advice
I'll run a layer or two of heat-shrink over the wires where they pass through the grommet for added diameter on the wires. Never had a leak since :)

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

More
05 Mar 2015 14:17 #663577 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Stator leak advice
Yeah, I spliced mine outside last time I did it. So that part is good to go. Makes sense about how the woven part is wicking the oil through. I am going to use both of these suggestions. I will be a happy camper when that leak is gone. Thanks for the great advice fellas. Without it, chances are I would have silicone it again and ended up with the same result!

All the best!

More
05 Mar 2015 16:57 #663588 by spdygon
Replied by spdygon on topic Stator leak advice
i just finish replacing my grommet....and no woven shield come through to the outside.
woven stay inside the cover and only the three wires go through the grommet..once outside wires have a second plastic sleeve.

1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
05 Mar 2015 17:24 #663592 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Stator leak advice
I bought a new grommet 4 years ago and decided that I didn't want to cut the wires so I pulled the braided wires back into the cover and cleaned them with soap and water and after they dried out real good I used black permatex and worked it into the wires and pulled them back into the grommet then doped up the inside of the grommet with more permatex and it has held for around 25,000 miles so far. ;)

78 KZ1000 A2A