Oil Cooler Question KZ1000

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Mar 2015 20:14 #663395 by missionkz
Oil Cooler Question KZ1000 was created by missionkz
Putting my 77" KZ1000A1 back together for the new season.
I have swapped the cylinder over to a 1075 Wiseco kit with 10.25:1 pistons. Fresh valve job with new springs and valve stem seals and such too.
Basically, I'm about done. It's bored, honed, pistons fitted, rings gapped and ready to go.
Lately I've been reading that this new setup will run hotter then all get out now and I need at least an oil cooler.
I have an oil cooler from my old KZ1000LTD.
Is that good enough or do I need aftermarket and spend the dough on a new fabrication?
Comments welcome.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Mar 2015 21:44 #663401 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Oil Cooler Question KZ1000
!075 shouldn't get that hot. The cooler you have should be good enough. I just installed a temperature gauge on mine to see what it will be this summer. I had a cooler but haven't run it this time around. The rides across the Mojave in mid summer didn't cause any problems.
Steve

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
04 Mar 2015 05:54 #663420 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil Cooler Question KZ1000
My bone stock Suzuki GS1000 sump temperature hits 300F when cruising on the freeway at 80mph on a hot day. There is a reason most larger displacement air cooled bikes had an oil cooler added stock by the mid 80's.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Mar 2015 06:23 #663424 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Oil Cooler Question KZ1000
They're good to have especally in stop and go traffic. In the 80's and later, the gas is different and the emissions called for leaner mixtures. All combined made for hotter running engines. Now the oil has been changed too? I've missed a lot in 15 years. I just installed my guages and yesterday while trouble shooting my charging issue, my temp. went up to 245 F. Came right down once on the road. We'll see what it's like this summer.
Steve

Attachments:

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
04 Mar 2015 08:52 #663454 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Oil Cooler Question KZ1000
In Denver area you need to consider not just stop and go traffic , or no air flow sitting in traffic , But those long steep runs up into the mountains. Here in the Midwest I ran a 1075 Wisco kit without a cooler for years with no problems until I got stuck in gridlock traffic .
I would run the cooler and keep your eye on oil temps and listen for spark knock, (detonation )
Im going to be adding a Earls cooler to my bike this year just for peace of mind
Just My 2 cts
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn