how to check rod issues on kz1000d z1r?

More
24 Feb 2015 13:04 #662609 by kamasaki
how to check rod issues on kz1000d z1r? was created by kamasaki
Hi ,is there a way to check crankshafts that are for sale to determine if the crank has (spun a rod) , i am learning that people weld there cranks to prevent this, for racing or for hard street use are there any tell tale signs in a engine that runs? , i know if the damage is severe engine wont run well or not ? ebay and other sources have alot of cranks out there for sale , with out testing or measuring bearing runout is there any help you guys can give me ? all of your help and input is always awesome and why i like this forum. mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2015 13:12 #662611 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic how to check rod issues on kz1000d z1r?
You can turn the crank until all 4 wrist pin ends of the rods align. Then run an appropriate sized (not too loose) piece of pipe through them. The pipe should slip through all 4. If not, it indicates that one or more of the the throws on the crankshaft has shifted. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 Feb 2015 13:38 #662615 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic how to check rod issues on kz1000d z1r?
Crankshafts are 40 plus years old the only proper way to know is to completely disassemble then and check them over or purchase new if you can find them I have 1 NOS 'J" model crank still in the box.

1984 750 Turbo

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Feb 2015 15:55 #662634 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic how to check rod issues on kz1000d z1r?
You can check the side play with a feeler gauge. Like above, you can put a rod through the wrist pin bosses to see if it"s shifted. It's a crap shoot no matter the price high or low.
Steve

More
25 Feb 2015 09:47 #662734 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic how to check rod issues on kz1000d z1r?
The Factory service manual has several pages on how to check a crank. Unfortunately it's not something you could do from an EBay ad. I guess you could ask the seller to guarantee the crank meets spec and offer a 30 day return if you find it to be bad. Welded cranks are not to prevent spun bearings. It prevents the cranks pressed fittings from twisting. What year is your Z1R? The 1978/79 D1/2 were the KZ engine. 1980 D3 changed to the MKII engine. I know crank bearing supports were different in the MKII. I'm not sure if the Cranks are interchangeable.

More
25 Feb 2015 13:19 #662754 by kamasaki
Replied by kamasaki on topic how to check rod issues on kz1000d z1r?
The bike is a 78 kz1000d1 model, all the info sofar is great , keep all the great advice coming it is awesome and very helpful, you cant put a value on knowledge or wisdom!!!! your :whistle: fellow kz and triple owner, kawi mike!! :cheer: