Vesrah Cam End Plugs ?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
18 Feb 2015 09:03 #661969 by kzdcw
Vesrah Cam End Plugs ? was created by kzdcw
I recently received a set of Cam End Plugs from Z1 Ent. made from Vesrah for my 77' KZ1000A. When installing them in the head they sat up much higher than the stock plugs. They where at least a valve cover gasket thickness higher than the stock plugs. When I laid the valve cover gasket on top of the head, it looked to me that when tightening down the valve cover, it would compress the gasket too much and probably break it and not seal at hat area ? The stock end plugs even though they are old sit level and are the same height of the gasket surface of the head. The Vesrah Cam End Plugs are Part # AP-4001-4 and are supposed to be the equivalent of the stock ones Part # 92066-017.

Has anyone ran into this dilemma?

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2015 09:53 #661973 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Vesrah Cam End Plugs ?
Genuine Kawasaki parts have been the best choice, in my experience. :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Feb 2015 11:08 #661979 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Vesrah Cam End Plugs ?
You might try putting them in without the gasket, tighten the valve cover down, then remove and put the gasket on. They're supposed to be tight to seal.
Steve

More
18 Feb 2015 11:47 #661984 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Vesrah Cam End Plugs ?
Not to worry.....remember that as heads are line bored and cam caps are specific to each head.....the spot where the cam plugs go are bored the same and as such are not the same on every head therefore you have to mill/sand/file the new plugs to fit. Make sure you number them on the back and take a little time to get them to fit really flush to the top surface of the head, you will be rewarded with a leak-free valve cover.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
18 Feb 2015 12:54 #661989 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Vesrah Cam End Plugs ?

kzdcw wrote: I recently received a set of Cam End Plugs from Z1 Ent. made from Vesrah for my 77' KZ1000A. When installing them in the head they sat up much higher than the stock plugs. They where at least a valve cover gasket thickness higher than the stock plugs. When I laid the valve cover gasket on top of the head, it looked to me that when tightening down the valve cover, it would compress the gasket too much and probably break it and not seal at hat area ? The stock end plugs even though they are old sit level and are the same height of the gasket surface of the head.

That's because they et squashed down over time.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Feb 2015 12:57 #661990 by bountyhunter
To install: put the sealer on the curved part of the plug and use the valve cover to push it down while still wet (don't use the gasket yet). Finger tighten the bolts in the cover just enough to get it level. Let the gasket sealer dry over night and that will set the end plug were it needs to be and it will stay there. Then install the gasket and it should seal.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
18 Feb 2015 13:59 #661994 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Vesrah Cam End Plugs ?
That's kind of what I thought Bountyhunter, I'll try that method and see what happens. Thanks so much again for ALL that responded.

77' KZ1000A

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
18 Feb 2015 17:44 #662004 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Vesrah Cam End Plugs ?
I'm not sure but I think the last set of rubber plugs I bought were Vesrah and I had all kinds of trouble,
Ether they wanted to get sucked in or they wanted to squirt out.

The only time I ever was stranded on the side of a road in the thirty five years I have owed this bike was last year when one popped out and spewed hot oil all over my pants leg :pinch:

I did everything right around 5 times before it happened and never got them to seat right,
I have done the plugs a few times before and never had any problems.

So I bought these; www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...f1000&item=ZSM66-017

Problem solved ;)

78 KZ1000 A2A

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Feb 2015 20:33 #662014 by SWest
I bought my Manley billet plugs 30 years ago. No problems.
Steve

More
18 Feb 2015 22:10 #662016 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Vesrah Cam End Plugs ?

bountyhunter wrote:

kzdcw wrote: I recently received a set of Cam End Plugs from Z1 Ent. made from Vesrah for my 77' KZ1000A. When installing them in the head they sat up much higher than the stock plugs. They where at least a valve cover gasket thickness higher than the stock plugs. When I laid the valve cover gasket on top of the head, it looked to me that when tightening down the valve cover, it would compress the gasket too much and probably break it and not seal at hat area ? The stock end plugs even though they are old sit level and are the same height of the gasket surface of the head.

That's because they et squashed down over time.

I haven't seen the Vesrah plugs.....are they like stock ones where there is some metal in the plugs? If so I respectfully disagree that they would squash down over time. I really like the all-metal ones that you posted are sold by Z1 Ent.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Feb 2015 05:35 #662023 by SWest
I haven't commented about the plugs you bought in particular because I haven't installed them professionally for many years. In the past all I had to do is put them in without anything. They were made to seal on their own. I'd contact Mike at Z1E and ask him or one of their Tech's about it. In 40 years, never have I had one pop out. I just got tired of buying them, so I bought the metal ones.
Steve

Attachments:

More
19 Feb 2015 19:43 #662114 by bountyhunter
If we are talking about rubber plugs:

I bought OEM ones and one also popped out because I installed it wrong. I put the sealer on the curved part and set it in and let it cure. That means it was sitting up well above level, when I pulled the cover down it sheared the sealer and when I ran it, a plug popped out.

The FSM says specifically sealer should be used, but no installation method specified. I think the sealer should be cured with just enough pressure from the top to form the rubber plug level at the top. I did that the second time and it worked perfectly.

1979 KZ-750 Twin