Oil Cooler questions

More
17 Feb 2015 22:09 #661936 by Racewayelko
Oil Cooler questions was created by Racewayelko
Before I go any further, I know this topic has been beaten to death about whether or not to put one on a bike, that isn't my concern. What I am curious about is how it works.
Let me explain. I know it cools the oil through its fins much like the air cooled bike uses fins to dissipate heat. I have a kz750 n1 (four cyl shaft)And I know I would use the port on the right side of the motor, up through the cooler, then into the galley plug. My main question is this. Does the oil path go : pan, pump, (split between oil cooler and rest of motor) pan. or :Pan, pump motor, cooler, pan? Also how much would the pressure be expected to drop? I had some overheating issues last year going though Missouri and am looking for a way to keep my bike as cool as I can (short of mounting fans facing the fins ;) ) Thanks all

Where I got my info on where to run inlet and outlet hoses to: kz650files.kz650.info/adobe/KZ650OilCooler.pdf

Keep it rubber side down everyone :)
Klx 110, TTr125, TTr250, 1982 kz750-N1 (Spectre), Xt-350 (soon to be the new home of a Kz550 engine :) )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2015 02:17 #661943 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Oil Cooler questions
The cooler goes inline between the pump and motor.
Oil path = Sump - Pump - cooler - Motor - sump .
Do not split the feed between the cooler and motor as the oil will take the easiest less restrictive path.
Do not take the cooler return directly back to the sump as this will bypass the motor and starve the top end.
You should not get any pressure drop if installed correctly.
If you were to dry block the top end you could have a cooler specific for the cams etc but that's whole different kettle of fish.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
18 Feb 2015 05:54 - 18 Feb 2015 11:29 #661951 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil Cooler questions
I'm putting an oil cooler on my '81 750. Picked up a later model oil pan off ebay that has the take off fittings built in. Also purchased an oil cooler with all the lines so the entire thing is plug and play using factory parts. Not sure but suspect the oil pressure relief valve is different for the cooler equipped bikes. This part screws into the oil pan so just get a pan with one already on there. Also, some 750's have an oil level sensor so make sure the pan you buy has all the features you need.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 11:29 by Nessism.

More
18 Feb 2015 06:50 #661960 by Racewayelko
Replied by Racewayelko on topic Oil Cooler questions
my pan looks like the first two you posted. Where are you running your lines to?

Klx 110, TTr125, TTr250, 1982 kz750-N1 (Spectre), Xt-350 (soon to be the new home of a Kz550 engine :) )

More
18 Feb 2015 10:06 - 18 Feb 2015 11:29 #661974 by Nessism
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Racewayelko wrote: my pan looks like the first two you posted. Where are you running your lines to?

The lines plug into an open port on the edge of the oil pan, and feeds up and back from the cooler from there.

You need a pan like this one...

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 11:29 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racewayelko

More
18 Feb 2015 22:06 #662015 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Oil Cooler questions

zed1015 wrote: The cooler goes inline between the pump and motor.
Oil path = Sump - Pump - cooler - Motor - sump .
Do not split the feed between the cooler and motor as the oil will take the easiest less restrictive path.
Do not take the cooler return directly back to the sump as this will bypass the motor and starve the top end.
You should not get any pressure drop if installed correctly.
If you were to dry block the top end you could have a cooler specific for the cams etc but that's whole different kettle of fish.

Thank you Zed.....so is the best place to route the oil infeed from the cooler at the top end (valve cover) or lower down?

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
19 Feb 2015 18:59 #662109 by Racewayelko
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Nessism wrote:

Racewayelko wrote: my pan looks like the first two you posted. Where are you running your lines to?

The lines plug into an open port on the edge of the oil pan, and feeds up and back from the cooler from there.

You need a pan like this one...

Now do you know what models have said pan? Want to check my options for that. Thank you a million

More
19 Feb 2015 19:20 #662111 by Nessism

Racewayelko wrote: Now do you know what models have said pan? Want to check my options for that. Thank you a million

A lot of different model 750's came with coolers, and similar pans. Some come with different accessories, such as an oil level sensor, so you need to search for a pan with the features your bike needs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racewayelko

More
22 Feb 2015 20:44 #662438 by Racewayelko
One last thing popped into my head, Do I need to get a different oil pump aswell? Thank you for all your answers so far