First start, running better

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
17 Feb 2015 15:59 - 25 Feb 2015 00:14 #661897 by jsnabbs
First start, running better was created by jsnabbs
Well i finally got the bike started up again after the complete rebuild. It took a while but once it started up it seemed to be running ok, apart from a very load clicking noise that seemed to be coming for the carb area, i have some short video clips maybe someone could tell me if they have ideas as to what this could be

The next problem came along as the engine started to get warm, all of a sudden the revs jumped up, i didnt want to put too much stress on the new motor so i shut it off. as above here is a video, i wasnt doing anything with the throttle

Last problem should be easy for some of you, can someone please tell me, in what postion is the choke on/open?

Attachment IMG_1324.jpg not found

TIME TO TRADE IN THE PEDALS FOR SOME POWER
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Feb 2015 00:14 by jsnabbs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2015 19:11 #661915 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Rough running after first start
Take the filter off and see which lever position makes the choke plate close. That is the choked position.

More
17 Feb 2015 22:30 - 17 Feb 2015 22:32 #661937 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rough running after first start
Loud click: check for wide valve clearance or exhaust leak first.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 Feb 2015 22:32 by bountyhunter.

More
18 Feb 2015 05:28 #661946 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Rough running after first start
In the pic, the choke lever is in the open position for normal running.

Pulling the lever upward should close the butterflies to choke off the airflow for cold starting.

Since the bike has pod filters, it would be easyenough to pop one off and check. After 40 or so years, you never know what somebody may have monkeyed with.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Feb 2015 06:03 #661953 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Rough running after first start
Is that a vent not hooked up or vacuum? Take the pods off and feel with your had if there is back pressure coming out of the carbs. If not, it's a loose tappet. Really loose.
Steve

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
19 Feb 2015 00:38 - 19 Feb 2015 04:08 #662019 by jsnabbs
Replied by jsnabbs on topic Rough running after first start

swest wrote: Is that a vent not hooked up or vacuum? Take the pods off and feel with your had if there is back pressure coming out of the carbs. If not, it's a loose tappet. Really loose.
Steve

Im not sure if it is a vaccum, on my manuel, it doesnt exist. I cant imagine it being a loose tappet either as i just had the motor rebuilt.

Anyone have any ideas as to the increse in RPM when it gets warm?

Last edit: 19 Feb 2015 04:08 by jsnabbs.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Feb 2015 06:00 #662029 by SWest
That would indicate a lean mixture. When it warms up the RPM's go up. Put your finger over the fitting and see if there is vacuum. As for it being "just rebuilt" mistakes happen. Check the valve clearances. They all may be out of Spec.
Steve

More
19 Feb 2015 06:40 - 20 Feb 2015 09:14 #662043 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rough running after first start

jsnabbs wrote: ...Anyone have any ideas as to the increse in RPM when it gets warm?

A "racing idle" or a failure to promptly return to idle upon closing the throttle may result from an air leak.

Among other places, air leaks may be through old hardened worn out carb holders, defective vacuum plugs, deteriorated o'rings, loose carb holder clamps, etc.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 Feb 2015 09:14 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jsnabbs

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
20 Feb 2015 01:36 #662120 by jsnabbs

Patton wrote:

jsnabbs wrote: ...Anyone have any ideas as to the increse in RPM when it gets warm?

A "racing idle" or a failure to promptly return to idle upon closing the throttle may result from an air leak.

Among other places, air leaks may be through old hardened worn out carb holders, defective vacuum plugs, deteriorated o'rings, loose carb holder clamps, etc.

This make it very clear, its all one and the same problem
Thank you

,often

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
20 Feb 2015 01:40 #662121 by jsnabbs

swest wrote: Is that a vent not hooked up or vacuum? Take the pods off and feel with your had if there is back pressure coming out of the carbs. If not, it's a loose tappet. Really loose.
Steve

Now that you mention it, i think that when i took the bike aprt there was a hose going from that tap back to the airbox. now i have no airbox should i plug it?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Feb 2015 05:22 #662124 by SWest
No. Is there vacuum? If it's a vent run a tube up and back where the air box was. You should have one on the other carb too.
Steve

More
20 Feb 2015 15:07 #662167 by 123vucku
Replied by 123vucku on topic Rough running after first start

Patton wrote:

I had mine run like crap found out the carb boots need some sealant towards the head if you or them put those on with no sealant it could be leaking try spraying starter fluid near the boots to see if you get a reaction to the idle if it goes up means there's a leak there ... just lightly spray around the boot ..worked for me