what type of oil csr1000

More
03 Feb 2015 10:23 #660494 by Kwaker2000
what type of oil csr1000 was created by Kwaker2000
hi would like to know what type of oil i should be using ,ets semi sinthetic or regular 10w 40 oil i have some oil its
castrol actevo 10 w40

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2015 12:01 - 03 Feb 2015 12:02 #660504 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic what type of oil csr1000
Whatever oil you select you should ensure the label shows that it is JASO-MA compliant. Oils that meet that standard will not hurt your bike's wet clutch. I use Mobil Racing 4T (10W-40) and it works great, but there are other less expensive oils that also work well. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 03 Feb 2015 12:02 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, Kwaker2000

More
03 Feb 2015 14:28 #660517 by Kwaker2000
Replied by Kwaker2000 on topic what type of oil csr1000
hi ed thanks for info its got jaso-ma 2 specks so should be good to use :)

More
03 Feb 2015 14:45 #660520 by Nessism

More
03 Feb 2015 17:03 #660523 by KzChop82
Replied by KzChop82 on topic what type of oil csr1000
Love posts like this.
It's the equivent of asking, "democrat or republican". Everyone has their opinions.
However- I am always curious as to what people respond.

Clinton, NJ
Custom chopper, 1982 KZ 1000 M2 CSR engine, K&N Pod Filters

PICTURES AND GOPRO VIDEOS!! :
www.dropbox.com/sh/jipz3l8nhzr4jge/AABbm...OC3sqlhCSLxH5Fa?dl=0

More
03 Feb 2015 21:18 #660542 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic what type of oil csr1000

KzChop82 wrote: Love posts like this.
It's the equivent of asking, "democrat or republican". Everyone has their opinions.

The mystery though is why is oil an opinion based choice? It's not like a color where opinions matter. Oil has a technical function so a proper selection should be based on facts, not opinions.

Diesel oil like that Rotella is designed for heavy duty usage. Motorcycles that share their engine oil with the transmission is hard on oil so the formulation needs are similar. Rotella is even MA certified for use in wet clutches, so people that are worried about this can sleep easy.

If anyone is truly interested in learning about motor oil they should hit up the Bob is the Oil Guy forum and do some reading. Good fun.

More
04 Feb 2015 05:06 #660563 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic what type of oil csr1000
I agree, and Rotella is a good choice that many use successfully. The link below shows a study commissioned by Amsoil (so it's not surprising that their oil comes out on top), but despite their involvement it contains some good information about the various properties of motorcycle oil and a comparison of quite a few oil brands. Unfortunately, it is limited to motorcycle specific oil, so it does not contain diesel oil for comparison. Ed

wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/...-archived/index.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Feb 2015 05:45 #660564 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic what type of oil csr1000
AMSOIL makes good oil. The price is through the roof though. With real group IV base stock oil that resists breakdown, AMSOIL will last for a long time, which helps offset its cost. That's the main thing with synthetic; it costs more but last longer. It's not more slippery per say, reducing wear inside the engine the way some people think. Go read some oil analysis tests on BITOG and you will see that the wear metals in the oil is not reduced when running a synthetic like AMSOIL, but the viscosity shear down is better. Where you may normally change your oil at 2500 mile intervals with normal oil, you can extend that to 5000 with synthetic. Great opinion for guys that tour the country on their bike and don't want to stop off for service halfway through a trip.

More
04 Feb 2015 05:53 #660566 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic what type of oil csr1000

... If anyone is truly interested in learning about motor oil they should hit up the Bob is the Oil Guy forum and do some reading. Good fun.

No thanks.

More
04 Feb 2015 10:32 #660609 by Kwaker2000
Replied by Kwaker2000 on topic what type of oil csr1000
well this is great unfortunatly i live in england so dont have a wallmart at hand ,and can only get what i can here
but thanks for the advice ,the main thing is it should be good for an engine that shares gearbox clutch, so the oil i have now got should be ok also it reduces wair by 70 % on cams it says on the bottle :)

More
04 Feb 2015 12:20 #660619 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic what type of oil csr1000

Nessism wrote:

KzChop82 wrote: Love posts like this.

The mystery though is why is oil an opinion based choice? It's not like a color where opinions matter. Oil has a technical function so a proper selection should be based on facts, not opinions. .

I agree, I just wish oil companies would put the facts on the label about what's in it so we could decide. They don't list ZDDP content and they don't list whether or not it has moly or other friction reducers. I agree with Ed that the only safe choice is to go with an MA rated oil and I also think diesel rated oils like Rotella have better additive packages but I still don't know if they have ZDDP. If not, I would add it to the oil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Feb 2015 12:25 - 04 Feb 2015 12:26 #660620 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic what type of oil csr1000

Nessism wrote: AMSOIL makes good oil. The price is through the roof though. With real group IV base stock oil that resists breakdown, AMSOIL will last for a long time, which helps offset its cost. That's the main thing with synthetic; it costs more but last longer. .

That's true but the base stock almost never fails, it's the additives that get used up or break down from stress. IMHO, stock bikes don't need syn oil but it is better oil..... assuming it is actually syn base oil. The vast majority of oil sold in the USA as "full synthetic" contain little or no actual man made base stock. They are dino oil subjected to a process called hydrocracking. So, syn oil is better but there is a lot of stuff out there that is dino oil with a big price tag faking to be syn.

Last I heard, Amsoil was true syn and I think Mobil 1 is but the rest, who knows.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Feb 2015 12:26 by bountyhunter.