what type of oil csr1000

More
04 Feb 2015 12:31 - 04 Feb 2015 12:32 #660621 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic what type of oil csr1000

Nessism wrote: Where you may normally change your oil at 2500 mile intervals with normal oil, you can extend that to 5000 with synthetic. Great opinion for guys that tour the country on their bike and don't want to stop off for service halfway through a trip.

That's true assuming that viscosity breakdown is the limiting factor. In many engines (especially older ones) they blow carbon past the rings into the crankcase oil and the detergents and solvents are there to keep it suspended in the oil and prevent it from forming sludge. Once those additives are used up, crud builds up in the engine. It's why nearly every old engine you tear down will typically have sludge in it. Another key additive is acid neutralizers that eat up the hydrogen based acid that forms in the engine. Point is, the base oil may be good for 30,000 miles but the additives certainly are not and they are what will kill your engine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Feb 2015 12:32 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2015 12:34 #660622 by bountyhunter

Nessism wrote:

KzChop82 wrote: Love posts like this.
It's the equivent of asking, "democrat or republican". Everyone has their opinions.
However- I am always curious as to what people respond.

If anyone is truly interested in learning about motor oil they should hit up the Bob is the Oil Guy forum and do some reading. Good fun.

I posted there for a while. The arrogance and general rudeness gets old pretty quick. There was an (incorrect) old saying that there's no such thing as a stupid question..... but at that place it seemed like ANYBODY who asked a question got treated like it was a stupid question.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Feb 2015 14:14 - 04 Feb 2015 18:55 #660626 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic what type of oil csr1000
That "hydro-cracked" base stock oil is denoted as Group III. It's good stuff and doesn't break down as quickly as the regular Group II mineral oil. I believe most flavors of Mobil 1 are Group III these days, but there are a few special formulations that are still Group IV. Mobil changed the formulas from Group IV to III a few years ago to save money.

Viscosity shear down is one of the main ways motor oil gets worn out (so to speak). Using up the acid buffers is another. Typically there is enough acid buffers within Group III and Group IV oils such that extended change intervals are justified. Some large trucking companies perform oil analysis to judge how much acid buffers are remaining in the oil so the change interval can be managed through analysis. Those trucks use a LOT of oil, so the smart companies manage oil quality closely and only change it after it's all used up.

All motor oils have ZDDP. Auto oils are typically in the 700-800 PPM range, MA oils are about 800-1300, and diesel oils are about 1000-1400. The more the better as far as our motorcycles are concern. There are some special motorcycle oil formulas denoted for use in air cooled V-twins that have a LOT of ZDDP - in the 1800 PPM range, don't think these meet the MA spec though. Oh and many oils contain moly too, even MA oils, although some motorcycle guys think the stuff is evil and guaranteed to destroy a wet clutch.

The following link is an oil analysis performed on Motul 300V motorcycle oil. The Zinc = 915, phosphorus = 833. Pretty darn low. Moly = 146, pretty darn high. This stuff is high buck Group V ester based oil. Modern motorcycles are running cats now so low ZDDP motorcycle oil is going to become the norm in the future I fear.

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads...ki_DL650#Post3340155

www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/oils-lub...ne-road-racing-10w40
Last edit: 04 Feb 2015 18:55 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
04 Feb 2015 21:19 #660655 by bountyhunter

Nessism wrote: Modern motorcycles are running cats now so low ZDDP motorcycle oil is going to become the norm in the future I fear.

Yes, but it's available as an additive. I use ZDDPlus but it also comes in some of the "break in" juices available.

1979 KZ-750 Twin