Did I bend a val

More
19 Jan 2015 17:14 #659134 by Yorkie
Did I bend a val was created by Yorkie
I was checking the valve clearances today on my Z1 and while installing a new shim it slipped out of the pocket and got jammed between the cam lobe and the bucket. I had to rotate the motor to get the shim out but when I went to check the clearance it had gone from .006 to 0.023" Did I somehow bend a valve?
Thanks,

'72 Z1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Jan 2015 17:23 #659136 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Did I bend a val
God I hope not. Did you rotate it around again? Which valve? If the valve is bent the compression will be low on that cylinder.
Steve

More
19 Jan 2015 17:44 #659138 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Did I bend a val
Increased clearance like that could well be a bent valve. Hope not though.

More
20 Jan 2015 04:04 #659164 by sampeeter
Replied by sampeeter on topic Did I bend a val
If you had a bent valve you would be hearing a popping sound from the intake or exhaust and it would be running like crap. The smoke you describe after the engine idling for a while is typical of either worn valve guides or valve seals. I don't know if you tried to crank the engine over excessively after it quit on you, but that can dilute the oil with gasoline and make your oil thinner. Two things you could try. Do a compression test and make sure all cylinders are equal. If one is considerably lower or doesn't hold pressure you may still have a valve issue. Simply changing your oil might improve the condition also.

More
20 Jan 2015 05:14 #659165 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Did I bend a val
I'm not sure that trying to start the engine at this point is a good idea. A leak down test will give you a pretty good indication of the overall condition of the rings and valves. There are several threads on the topic that should be fairly easy to find. If you don't have or want to buy the tools for thatjob, an auto parts store near you may loan or rent them.
A compression test cannot differentiate between leaky valves and worn rings, though in this case if the compression is near zero in one cylinder, it's probably going to be a bent valve.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
20 Jan 2015 06:22 #659171 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Did I bend a val
with it on compression for that cylinder.
you can blow air through the spark plug hole and listen for air coming out of the exhaust or intake.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jan 2015 06:52 #659175 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Did I bend a val
I didn't read anywhere on this thread about smoke or ill running. A poor mans test will be to take all the plugs out, hold you thumb over each hole and see if it is forces off the hole. With good compression, you can't That way you can tell if one cylinder is bad. How did you turn it, with a wrench, kick starter, electric?
Steve

More
20 Jan 2015 07:54 #659177 by Yorkie
Replied by Yorkie on topic Did I bend a val
Gents - thanks for all the replies. I did not start the engine as I knew that there was something up with the excessive clearance. I turned the motor over with a wrench on the end of the crank. I think that the valve must have kissed the top of the piston due to the excessive lift I gave the cam lobe by having the shim sit on top of the bucket. I will conduct a compression test and see what the readings are. Anyone know what pressure I should see?
Thanks,

'72 Z1

More
20 Jan 2015 08:13 - 20 Jan 2015 15:51 #659181 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Did I bend a val
Per FSM (free download in KZr FILEBASE), standard is 145 psi, with service limit being 100 psi and less than 14 psi difference between any two cylinders.

What's not in the manual is that the engine may perform surprisingly well with less than 100 psi and/or more deviation in compression between cylinders.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 Jan 2015 15:51 by Patton.

More
20 Jan 2015 08:16 #659183 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Did I bend a val
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.

It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.

And the signature may be changed whenever and as often as desired.

If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do.

Here's how:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
20 Jan 2015 13:22 #659198 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Did I bend a val
Unfortunately, it sounds like that is exactly what happened. Good luck though.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread