Easiest way to get engine in and out?

More
03 Dec 2014 18:01 #655270 by taylee
1985 GPZ750

My basket case is now stripped to just the engine with engine mounts removed. What is the best way to get this thing out with minimal damage/scrapes/scuffs to the engine and frame (especially after I have the frame powder coated, and engine painted) ?

[IMG

[IMG

1985 GPZ750 (non-turbo)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2014 19:27 #655283 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
Strip front end/swingarm off lay engine/frame on side, shake frame off of the engine. Then to put together lay engine down and slowly lower frame into place.

Removal/reassembly is easier though if the top end is off, that way you can leave the frame sitting the right way and just place it together piece by piece (bottom end/trans- pistons/jugs then head and cam cover.) and reassemble the engine in frame

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
03 Dec 2014 19:38 #655286 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
Put a blanket on the floor (I use a shipping blanket ) lay the bike on its side on the padding, take the last of the engine mount bolts out then lift the frame up and off the engine. When you put it back together after power coating try using water pipe insolation the cheep black stuff from Lowes to protect the frame. Engine on its side, drop the frame over the engine. Tip it upright and go from there.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

More
03 Dec 2014 19:46 #655288 by taylee
Replied by taylee on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
Thank you for the tips sirs. Any idea which side I should lay the bike on to make it easier?

1985 GPZ750 (non-turbo)

More
03 Dec 2014 22:37 #655296 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
Lay the engine on it's clutch/ignition side .

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
04 Dec 2014 04:35 #655299 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
Laying the bike on its side and lifting the frame is barbaric and a pita IMO, also it takes two people.

I have done 3 engines in the last couple years by my self and have been perfecting this method, sorry I have not taken more shots.

It works best if you take the oil drain plug and filter plate off first.

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958, bluezbike

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
04 Dec 2014 04:48 #655301 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
...and if you are planning to split the cranckcases, you may find it easier to loosen off the primary shaft and clutch centre nut in frame, locking the motor via the back wheel. Use an air tool here- shake it off rather than metre long socket lever. They are very tight.

Removing the cam cover as a minimum helps on the twin shock GPz, never done a zx yet.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
04 Dec 2014 05:36 #655309 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
I have a steel threaded rod about 30 inches long I stick thru the top rear motor mount holes and a 30 inch wooden dowel ( broom stick ) that fits tight between the 8 exhaust port studs and secure the broom stick with a tie down strap wrapped behind the head for when I don't want to lay my bike on its side and this works great. Adjust the rod as needed to clear rear frame brackets Sorry no pictures but its simple and works great and gives you complete control on the motor as you guide it between the frame rails which I also pad with foam and tape wrap.

Hope this helps
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Dec 2014 06:20 #655315 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
If your going to tear down the head, do it in the frame. The block is much easier to handle this way. Never tried the lay down method. I don't think I ever will. Some good ideas. Like they say, "necessity leads to invention."
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Dec 2014 06:24 #655316 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
Correction. Necessity is the mother of invention. I guess I'm having a senior moment. "What a drag it is being old".

More
04 Dec 2014 09:02 #655326 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?
I use the Engine on it side method with a few modifications. As mentioned above, clutch side down with Ignition and housing removed. Also remove oil filter cover, drain bolt and cam shaft cover. This gives a little more clearance. I position the engine on a plastic milk crate. This allows access to insert bolts from the bottom. I'm working alone, and my back ain't what it used to be so I cheat and use an engine hoist. After positioning the engine, I hang the frame and lower it around the engine. 30 minutes by myself. Without the hoist, you'll need an helper to lower the frame.

Attachments:

More
04 Dec 2014 10:45 #655336 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Easiest way to get engine in and out?

bluej58 wrote: Laying the bike on its side and lifting the frame is barbaric and a pita IMO, also it takes two people.

I have done 3 engines in the last couple years by my self and have been perfecting this method, sorry I have not taken more shots.

It works best if you take the oil drain plug and filter plate off first.

Exactly the way I did it and it worked great. Was even easier with the wife and son helping.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.