KZ750 CSR Clutch Suddenly Out

More
02 Dec 2014 17:12 #655196 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ750 CSR Clutch Suddenly Out

bpchura wrote: Hey all, sorry about the profile information and not telling all about the bike. I have tried many times to update my information but for some reason, the save button on the profile information form doesnt seem to work or do anything at all?

You guys are correct, the bike is a twin. Sorry about not mentioning that earlier.

You need to provide EXACT information about what year and model motorcycle you have. Not all KZ750 twins use the same parts, so PLEASE be specific if you want to ensure you get accurate information. Add it to your signature, but if you cannot be sure to include it in your postings. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
02 Dec 2014 17:48 #655199 by bpchura
Replied by bpchura on topic KZ750 CSR Clutch Suddenly Out
Its a 1982 KZ750 CSR twin.

The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
02 Dec 2014 18:00 #655201 by bpchura
Alright sorry for the confusion everyone. Profile update has worked and all is peaceful with the world.

The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

More
02 Dec 2014 18:06 #655202 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic KZ750 CSR Clutch Suddenly Out
I don't know anything about the twins, but if the clutch is even remotely similar to the 4 cylinder engine, there is very few possibles for this type problem. Clutch cable 95% of the time. Hard to imagine any other common problems. I once had a clutch hub nut come loose and the whole clutch basket slipped off the shaft. I suppose possible the release mechinism is broken as another possibility, but these problems are few and far between. I wound examine the cable again.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
02 Dec 2014 18:19 #655205 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ750 CSR Clutch Suddenly Out
OK. The 1982 KZ750-CSR Twin model is a KZ750-M1. That is the term that you can use when searching parts databases. The clutch mechanism for this model is shown in the diagram below. Ed

Attachment 00003a_2014-12-03.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
02 Dec 2014 18:23 #655206 by bpchura
Alright I will go through the cable and actuator with a fine tooth comb. Thanks for the diagrams. il have a look at them when I poke around. Thanks again!

More
17 Jan 2015 19:31 - 17 Jan 2015 19:32 #658933 by Kungfutoast
Replied by Kungfutoast on topic KZ750 CSR Clutch Suddenly Out
Hi BP,
Did you ever resolve your issue? When the pop happens is there suddenly slack on your cable? If so the cable could not be seated right, where the cable enters the case and be snapping back into place. Just a thought.

Attachment ScreenShot2015-01-17at7.25.42PM.png not found

'76 KZ750B Twin
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jan 2015 19:32 by Kungfutoast.

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
02 Feb 2015 15:41 #660409 by bpchura
I have not resolved this issue as of yet. And yes, you pull the clutch and instead of pulling normally,, it pops and then goes totally slack. I checked the mechanism out and it seems fine. I couldnt imagine anything wrong with the actual clutch. Could you provide more detail about your suggestion? I dont recall how the cable attaches into the cover but I will check it out.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Feb 2015 17:26 #660420 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ750 CSR Clutch Suddenly Out
That's the EZ pull design. My old 350 Honda had it. It would do the same thing. Are you sure the balls are in the sockets when you set it up? Is the holder loose? If that is what you have, it is possible you are trying to adjust it mid range thus the pop is when the balls drop into the sockets. If you have the worm gear design, the holder could be loose. Ether way, make sure the adjuster is seated all the way in with the adjustment screw all the way loose and the cable loose. Adjust the screw in until you feel it seat, then back it off 1/8 turn. Tighten the cable. See if that helps.
Steve

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
07 Apr 2015 15:41 #666994 by bpchura
Hello everyone. I thought I would give an update as I have finally had time to dig into the clutch problem. I first went through the cable and adjusted it perfectly. It is fine and not an issue. I next went through the push mechanism and cleaned out the old grease and got it all back together. Seems to b working fine. I opened up the clutch cover to see if there was anything wrong. When I took apart the clutch, I found two broken friction plates!! One had a small crack but the other was totally shattered!

Obviously that had something to do with the problem. I put everything back together minus those plates while I wait for the new ones to come in. Not surprisingly, the clutch seems to work fine now and is very smooth. Who thinks I solved the problem? I wonder how it works when I have everything back together...

Just curious but how common is the broken friction plate? All other plates seem in fine condition and I dont see why they would randomly break. It may have something to do with the fact that I was riding really hard when my clutch went out..... possibly a rough shift?

More
08 Apr 2015 22:44 #667205 by 78kzturbo
Replied by 78kzturbo on topic KZ750 CSR Clutch Suddenly Out
i would still recomened a new clutch cable. sometimes they look to be intact but they will fray on the inside. when you adjust the clutch it may have some clutch until it breaks. your clutch cable actuates the pressure plate. Either way it is a simple problem. if you stlii need help let me know. dave

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
09 Apr 2015 13:04 #667289 by bpchura
Thanks Dave. I will look into the new cable and let you know if I still have problems.