Inconsistent Valve Seats?

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Nov 2014 09:30 - 25 Dec 2014 13:00 #654841 by Nessism
Inconsistent Valve Seats? was created by Nessism
Restoring a KZ750E2 and getting ready to reassemble the head after a deep clean and repaint. The engine has done 11k miles and looks good on the inside for the most part.

I've got some Neway cutters so decide to take a light clean up scrape to remove any remnant crud. The exhaust seat width looks good, consistent all the way around, but the intakes are very inconsistent. On the side of the seats near deck surface the seat width is quite a bit thinner than the opposite side. All the intakes look this way to some extent, but some are worse than others.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Do I need to spring for a real valve job to properly repair the seats?
Last edit: 25 Dec 2014 13:00 by Nessism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2014 09:46 #654842 by KZ Rat
Replied by KZ Rat on topic Inconsistent Valve Seats?
Maybe the seats aren't square in the head? If you have the additional angle cutters the quickest fix would be doing a 3 angle to standardize the seat width.

1979 ltd 1260 1980 ltd 1075 2005 450x for the desert

More
28 Nov 2014 12:12 #654857 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Inconsistent Valve Seats?
What do the guides look like? ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Nov 2014 12:21 #654859 by Nessism

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Dec 2014 13:06 #656941 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Inconsistent Valve Seats?
Okay, so spent a little more time on this.

The intake valve seat width was about 1.0 mm on the outside edge of the seat (near the deck surface) and about 1.5 mm on the other side. Didn't have a 60* cutter (Kawasaki calls it a 30) so tried a Suzuki 15 * and low and behold, it cut the seat exactly where needed. Can't believe it. A Christmas gift for sure. Apparently Kawasaki didn't spend a lot of time trying to make the seats uniform. At any rate, the seats are all a uniform width so going to slam the head back together.

[IMG

[IMG

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
25 Dec 2014 17:35 #656954 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Inconsistent Valve Seats?
I have a couple of these GPz/zx engines but not yet had the heads off.

Is there is a skim marker on the underside of the cylinder head- are you sure it hasn't been skimmed before? (postage stamp size flats on the castings below the exhuast valve ports)

www.moto-wreck.com/Vyrobky-info/KAWASAKI...-GPZ-1100-F.I.-_82_/

Following on from the gpz750 head skimming thread, and discussion about skimming these heads it seems there may be some wide variance in factory tolerances here. There was a thread on just this elsewhere from someone who compared several 750 heads.

Interesting thread, not sure the answer just things I'm thinking about for my own projects.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Dec 2014 17:54 #656957 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Inconsistent Valve Seats?

Tyrell Corp wrote: I have a couple of these GPz/zx engines but not yet had the heads off.

Is there is a skim marker on the underside of the cylinder head- are you sure it hasn't been skimmed before? (postage stamp size flats on the castings below the exhuast valve ports)

www.moto-wreck.com/Vyrobky-info/KAWASAKI...-GPZ-1100-F.I.-_82_/

Following on from the gpz750 head skimming thread, and discussion about skimming these heads it seems there may be some wide variance in factory tolerances here. There was a thread on just this elsewhere from someone who compared several 750 heads.

Interesting thread, not sure the answer just things I'm thinking about for my own projects.

I've got two different 750E heads and both are the same; the valve seats are extremely close to the deck surface. Forget about increasing compression by milling the head.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
25 Dec 2014 18:20 - 25 Dec 2014 18:41 #656959 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Inconsistent Valve Seats?
ok if you google it is there is someone who compared several z750 heads and got widely different results - I did try to link to it but it escapes me finding it right now. This is against my belief in kawaskai precision engineering, might be crap just throwing it in. But also seems unlikely they wouldn't build in at least an extra thickness of at least one skim in case of warranty repair?

The skim markers show whether a head has been skimmed; serious skimming and reprofiling combustion chambers for a big valve conversion also grinds the carb flanges down on the 550 head.

Motors with moderate compression run smooth and happily on low octane juice; the gains in increasing CR alone without other mods are quite limited imo.

You might well be right here, interested in this myself.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 25 Dec 2014 18:41 by Tyrell Corp.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Dec 2014 18:20 - 25 Dec 2014 18:21 #656960 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Inconsistent Valve Seats?
Just went to the page, didn't see any pics of the valve seats. I did notice a case half for sale. I'd like to point out the cases are line bored like the heads and have to be sold as a pair. There were some on eBay for sale and I pointed that out to the sellers and got no response or a rude one. That.s just wrong and no one seem to care. Buyer beware!
Steve
Last edit: 25 Dec 2014 18:21 by SWest. Reason: spelling