break-in period after replacing head/base gasket?

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
More
04 Nov 2014 14:29 #652863 by Zaddict
Hey all,
So I just replaced the head on my 550. While I was in there I replaced the base gasket. I reused the old piston rings when I buttoned everything back up. Do I need to do a break in period, even if the rings aren't new? I'm assuming yes, but I'm not sure what that entails (rpm limits? for how long?)

Thanks

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2014 16:29 #652872 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic break-in period after replacing head/base gasket?
I would have to say no, others will chime in shortly. You did't hone the cylinders or replace the rings there is nothing to break in.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
04 Nov 2014 17:43 #652890 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic break-in period after replacing head/base gasket?
I think you need to re torque the head after a good run in. but not so much a break in. The only thing is that the rings may not be positioned exactly where they were prior so some seating may have to take place.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
04 Nov 2014 19:35 #652903 by daveo

bountyhunter wrote: I think you need to re torque the head after a good run in. but not so much a break in. The only thing is that the rings may not be positioned exactly where they were prior so some seating may have to take place.

Is it recommended to rearrange the piston rings to the patterns suggested in the Kawasaki service manual, before reinstalling the cylinder block? :unsure:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
04 Nov 2014 19:39 #652905 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic break-in period after replacing head/base gasket?

daveo wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: I think you need to re torque the head after a good run in. but not so much a break in. The only thing is that the rings may not be positioned exactly where they were prior so some seating may have to take place.

Is it recommended to rearrange the piston rings to the patterns suggested in the Kawasaki service manual, before reinstalling the cylinder block? :unsure:

Yes, they do specify the pattern. But, some of us lesser skilled mechanics have them wander a bit while we are fighting the cylinder back on..... :laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
05 Nov 2014 00:04 #652922 by zed1015
If all you have done is renew the gaskets then use the bike as normal .
Just re-torque the head after the first heat cycle and then a few hundred miles later.
Ring gap positioning isn't crucial as they rotate around the piston/bore in use and periodically line up anyhow but to assemble them staggered is regarded as good engineering practice,

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Nov 2014 06:17 #652933 by SWest
You might have a problem. To re use rings is generally a no no. If you do, a cross hatch is recomended. Now it's together hopefully they will seat. Check for blow by from your breather tube. It can run but you might start burning oil. I did it in my terrable twentys, glazed the rings and it didn't run quite right and I was burning oil. A friend suggested my running ATF in it for a short while. I did and the white smoke made me dump the ATF and put in new oil. Maybe it helped but I still burned oil untill I did a 1015 overbore. You might try to put in some Marvel Mystery oil if you do have blow by. I've used it on things that have sat for years. It seems to work. Good luck.
Steve

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Nov 2014 06:49 #652935 by Zaddict
Thanks all. The bike seems to be running well so far - no smoke or noticeable oil loss. We'll see...

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
K&N Air Filter...

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Nov 2014 09:48 #652940 by SWest

More
05 Nov 2014 16:20 #652966 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic break-in period after replacing head/base gasket?

swest wrote: You might have a problem. To re use rings is generally a no no. If you do, a cross hatch is recomended. Now it's together hopefully they will seat. Check for blow by from your breather tube. It can run but you might start burning oil. I did it in my terrable twentys, glazed the rings and it didn't run quite right and I was burning oil. A friend suggested my running ATF in it for a short while. I did and the white smoke made me dump the ATF and put in new oil. Maybe it helped but I still burned oil untill I did a 1015 overbore. You might try to put in some Marvel Mystery oil if you do have blow by. I've used it on things that have sat for years. It seems to work. Good luck.
Steve

If you are putting the same used rings in the same used bores I do not see any problem if everything was in spec and not damaged.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Nov 2014 19:17 #652989 by Zaddict
I read a lot of conflicting opinions about whether it's OK to reuse old rings. I took a chance and so far so good.

One thing I don't understand is what people mean by the rings "seating." Rings are constantly moving up and down the cylinder with the piston. What does seating mean in that context? And why/how would they fail to seat?

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
K&N Air Filter...

More
05 Nov 2014 23:58 #653009 by bountyhunter
Seating is when the rings wear the cylinder wall to match their circumference for a perfect seal. Rings that don't seal properly glaze the walls and then you have an engine that burns oil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zaddict