Oil Seal Removal ( Tach Drive ) ???

More
22 Oct 2014 13:02 #651425 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Oil Seal Removal ( Tach Drive ) ???
The o-ring is just a standard 10mm metric o-ring I believe and can be found in any metric o-ring kit
Have never seen this paper gasket/fibre washer on a bike, only in some of these part breakdowns, can't see what it would be sealing????

I see no reason to replace Item #9 unless there is mechanical damage to it,like cracks or pieces broken off.It's basically just the seal holder with o-ring(s) on the o.d. to seal it where it sticks into the head.
The next most likely culprit would be Item#11 if a bad seal is left in place to long it will wear a groove on the shaft and even a new seal will not stop leakage up the shaft and to the outside. Have fixed this leak on 4 bikes in this manner.
Z1 carries that drive gear, it seems last time I bought one it was 20 some dollars which seems steep, but it will keep an oily mess from developing at the tach hook up....

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2020 13:24 - 18 Aug 2020 13:25 #833153 by STILL Kawi
Replied by STILL Kawi on topic Oil Seal Removal ( Tach Drive ) ???
Good afternoon everyone.

I’m looking for some help with tach seal removal too. I’ve gotten to the point of removing the cable and the screw (that seems to lock the mechanism in place) but I can’t seem to remove the threaded part that has a hex bolt pattern on the back of it. It spins freely but doesn’t back out. What am I missing here?

Ed, may you please repost that photo diagram that appear to be broken or missing?

Please see the attached photo. If anyone can help me move on from here, I’d be really appreciative.

Thanks!

‘82 KZ750 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 13:25 by STILL Kawi.

More
18 Aug 2020 15:53 #833160 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil Seal Removal ( Tach Drive ) ???
Here's what I replaced years ago on my 1977 KZ650-C1. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: STILL Kawi

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
18 Aug 2020 19:40 #833171 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Oil Seal Removal ( Tach Drive ) ???

STILL Kawi wrote: Good afternoon everyone.

I’m looking for some help with tach seal removal too. I’ve gotten to the point of removing the cable and the screw (that seems to lock the mechanism in place) but I can’t seem to remove the threaded part that has a hex bolt pattern on the back of it. It spins freely but doesn’t back out. What am I missing here?

Your going to have to trash it! It's aluminum. Its galled in there. Vise grips! I have one cheap, with a new seal and O-ring I could send you. I assume 650 is same as KZ1000. The metal older Z1 will work also.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
18 Aug 2020 20:00 #833173 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil Seal Removal ( Tach Drive ) ???
Look at the drawing. I believe you will find that the piece (#13) that is held in the head is not screwed into the head. It's been a while since I replaced mine, but I think it is held in place by the stopper plate (#15). When I replaced mine I removed the cam cover so I could get to all the pieces. I may have had the exhaust cam out of the engine too, but I don't remember because it was many years ago. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Aug 2020 20:49 #833174 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Oil Seal Removal ( Tach Drive ) ???
The old hard O ring is keeping it in there. You can pry it out with a flat head screw driver. It may help twisting it as you pry it out.
Steve

More
19 Aug 2020 10:12 #833209 by linuxrob
Replied by linuxrob on topic Oil Seal Removal ( Tach Drive ) ???
used a small self tapper to do my first one while it was all together

1980 Z500 B2 owned from new 78260 miles
1980 Z500 B2 in bits since 1982 23000 miles
2004 GSF1200S Bandit K4
2000 GS125 ESD