Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
17 Sep 2015 12:03 #690535 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!
Did you check your plugs to see if it was one or all cylinders ?
Inspect gaskets for signs of oil leak.
Replace all gaskets and o rings.
Make sure all surfaces are clean and flat
Maybe post us some pics so we can take a peek
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2015 06:26 #694514 by Maravinchi
Replied by Maravinchi on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!
Sorry for the absence, hard to find time between school and work. Ya checked the plugs, from cylinder 1-4 they all seem like they were burning oil. Once I believe Ive found the problem and decide to reassemble I'm for sure planning on using all new gaskets and seals. When the bike was running there was no external oil leaks but when I took my base gasket off it seemed to be soaked in oil. That's not normal is it?...I posted a pic of it, the tear on the left happened when I took it off because it was so brittle.....In response to Tyrell, basically zero I only started and ran the bike for 5 mins, and no I didn't use mineral oil just the standard weight oil (synthetic). Ya your right I cross hatched with a Diy kit, for insurance reasons I'll just have a machine shop re do it. When I measured, the valve guides were still well with in spec and the seals are new viton seals. My compression figures are as follows: cyl. 1: 157psi cyl. 2: 156 psi cyl. 3: 150psi cyl. 4: 154psi

If the valve seat (in the head) and valve face (back of valve) are not sealed properly that can cause significant oil burning right?

"Quatre roues déplacent le corps, deux roues déplacent l'âme."

1983 KZ750 F1 Ltd-Shaft
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2015 07:21 #694521 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!
How did you break the motor in after the rebuild?, often we are tempted to be overly careful when in reality we need to load the engine up to push the rings hard against the cylinder walls to get a seal and avoid glazing. I have a 73 Triumph Tiger and on these old bikes it's very common to get a bad seal and oil smoke if you do not follow the correct procedure at start up. I know the J series bikes had a reputation for bad oil consumption if broken in too gently when coming from the factory.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Oct 2015 08:01 #694527 by SWest

More
14 Oct 2015 08:49 #694531 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!

Maravinchi wrote: Sorry for the absence, hard to find time between school and work. Ya checked the plugs, from cylinder 1-4 they all seem like they were burning oil. Once I believe Ive found the problem and decide to reassemble I'm for sure planning on using all new gaskets and seals. When the bike was running there was no external oil leaks but when I took my base gasket off it seemed to be soaked in oil. That's not normal is it?...I posted a pic of it, the tear on the left happened when I took it off because it was so brittle.....In response to Tyrell, basically zero I only started and ran the bike for 5 mins, and no I didn't use mineral oil just the standard weight oil (synthetic). Ya your right I cross hatched with a Diy kit, for insurance reasons I'll just have a machine shop re do it. When I measured, the valve guides were still well with in spec and the seals are new viton seals. My compression figures are as follows: cyl. 1: 157psi cyl. 2: 156 psi cyl. 3: 150psi cyl. 4: 154psi

If the valve seat (in the head) and valve face (back of valve) are not sealed properly that can cause significant oil burning right?

IMHO, 5 minutes is not nearly enough time to determine is smoking is a permanent problem. You need to actually ride it around for at least 15 minutes just to get it warmed up. Even a tiny amount of oil will generate a huge amount of smoke, so you have to make sure any incidental oil is burned off before you can tell if it's being replenished by a bad seal, rings or whatever.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
14 Oct 2015 09:17 #694534 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!

A leak at the valve seat/face will cause loss of compression. Your numbers seem even and consistent. The Viton valve seals on the stem at the top of the guides would be the source of oil burning. This would typically show as a puff at start up or after idle. It's easy to cut or tear a seal during installation. However, it would also be limited to that cylinder. I don't think valves are the source of your problem.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
14 Oct 2015 09:39 #694539 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!
Guessing rings did not , or could not seat in such a short time, The honing job probably contributed to the blow by and the failure to seat the rings. Recheck piston to wall clearance too.
My go to for gaskets is Cometic brand.
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
14 Oct 2015 10:04 #694545 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!

When the bike was running there was no external oil leaks but when I took my base gasket off it seemed to be soaked in oil. That's not normal is it?...I posted a pic of it, the tear on the left happened when I took it off because it was so brittle

a new base gasket on a bike only run for 5 min. should not be that brittle. That's caused by heat. Being soaked with oil would make the gasket softer like wet paper. It's not normal, but I also doubt it's the source of your oil burning. A bad base gasket would cause oil leaks, but not oil burning.
Exhaust Smoke is oil is getting into your combustion chamber. Oil is 1) getting past the rings 2)past the valve (stem) seals or 3)leaking between the head and cylinder (head gasket). It's possible to have oil vented into the airbox and sucked in thru the carbs, but you would have noticed oil on the carb boots. Since it's happening in all cylinders, I would double check the ring installation. What brand rings did you use, and did they come with orientation instructions?

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
14 Oct 2015 11:37 #694555 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!
From the pics of your spark plugs, it's hard to see if they are oily black or sooty black. Sooty black can be some as simply as cam timing being off.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Oct 2015 12:09 #694560 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!

MDZ1rider wrote:

When the bike was running there was no external oil leaks but when I took my base gasket off it seemed to be soaked in oil. That's not normal is it?...I posted a pic of it, the tear on the left happened when I took it off because it was so brittle

a new base gasket on a bike only run for 5 min. should not be that brittle. That's caused by heat. Being soaked with oil would make the gasket softer like wet paper. It's not normal, but I also doubt it's the source of your oil burning. A bad base gasket would cause oil leaks, but not oil burning.
Exhaust Smoke is oil is getting into your combustion chamber. Oil is 1) getting past the rings 2)past the valve (stem) seals or 3)leaking between the head and cylinder (head gasket). It's possible to have oil vented into the airbox and sucked in thru the carbs, but you would have noticed oil on the carb boots. Since it's happening in all cylinders, I would double check the ring installation. What brand rings did you use, and did they come with orientation instructions?

I suspect new rings used on out of spec barrels. If it's not that, the valve guide seals may not have been seated on the guides. If not they will flop around and be of no use.
Steve

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
15 Oct 2015 02:39 #694627 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!
IMHO, 5 minutes is not nearly enough time to determine is smoking is a permanent problem

5 minutes doesn't even get the engine up to working temperature, if the bores have been oiled it will smoke on startup.

Use a non synthetic oil, avoid idling the motor and ride it and give the motor some load You want to break in the rings for a good seal without glazing the bore. Your numbers all look good.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
15 Oct 2015 05:36 - 15 Oct 2015 05:39 #694641 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Burning oil after rebuild, BAD!
All these previous replies are good but if it is really burning this much oil after 5-10 mins I'd be pretty sure I have a folded oil control ring in one or more cylinders .
Of course this means pulling the cam gear, head and cylinders off and using all new gaskets. .... Possibly no damage to the Pistons and bore but probably a new ring set.
It is really the only way to know.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 15 Oct 2015 05:39 by missionkz.