Oil breather dripping oil- need breather tank?

More
19 Aug 2014 11:45 #644470 by runmikeyrun
Hey all,
I kept finding small oil puddles under my bike and have finally narrowed it down- the crankcase oil breather filter is getting saturated and dripping on the ground after I park.

I looked up some 1 qt breather tanks on summit racing, and found a plastic one for $32... Summit racing is 10 mins from my house, so I might go pick one up.

My question is- should this be necessary? I have the 810 wiseco kit and k+n pods. The bike runs perfect. Not sure if I should be blowing that much oil?

Thanks,
Mike

Monkey? MONKEY? I'm a GORILLA you CLOWN!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2014 13:00 #644480 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Oil breather dripping oil- need breather tank?
The first thing I'd do is check the oil level to make sure it isn't over filled --- bike level & on the center stand.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
19 Aug 2014 13:03 #644481 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Oil breather dripping oil- need breather tank?
Yep, did you fill oil on side stand.....would cause an oil over fill.

+1

More
19 Aug 2014 13:11 #644482 by turboking
Replied by turboking on topic Oil breather dripping oil- need breather tank?
overfilled with oil or piston/cylinder clearance scoring blow bye....... :ohmy: if not overfilled with oil do a leak down test :blink:

2005 Kawasaki mean streak
2000 325 H.P. mcXpress turbo Hayabusa
1979 kz 1000 mk II ATP turbo
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1975 Z1 1428 big block ATP turbo
1976 Kz900 1103 cc ATP turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2001 Kawasaki EX 500 Ninja
1972 Honda cb750 (836cc turbo)

More
19 Aug 2014 13:15 #644485 by PLUMMEN
Check what they said first,then do this.
Take that k&n filter off of the crankcase vent.
Run a piece of clear vinyl tubing from the vent up bottem of seat,zip tie it to frame to keep from kinking then loop it back down towards the rear tire. ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Aug 2014 08:25 #644598 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Oil breather dripping oil- need breather tank?
All that oil is a symptom of a problem. Don't try and fix the symptom find the actual problem and fix that, overfilling the oil, blowby from bad rings, ect.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
20 Aug 2014 15:51 #644630 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Oil breather dripping oil- need breather tank?
All motors will create oil vapours, particualy high power small jap bike motors. Bore it out and the problem is worse.

Usually on a standard bike the vapours vent back to the airbox. When you lose the airbox a catch tank is better like on race bikes.

On my former yoshimura gpz I vented the rocker cover and the clutch cover to a catch tank. Some oil residue is normal, too much is a problem.

If the bike is smoking heavily then that is a sure sign that you have excessive cranckcase compression.

Never really believed in filters here , a tube to a vented catch tank is better imo.

In the uk it was 'normal' to have pods and a breather pipe vented to a beer can on tuned bikes. Some race bikes even used the hollow swinging arm as a catch tank.

If you remove the oil cap and rev it-does it puff exhaust smoke???

i

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
20 Aug 2014 16:25 #644635 by 650ed
My BSA race engine vented the crankcase through a short hose that terminated just above the counter-sprocket. It kept the drive chain lubed. Efficient - yes. Messy - YES!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Aug 2014 19:51 #644652 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Oil breather dripping oil- need breather tank?
I'm with Baldy on this, that much oil is a symptom of some other problem,My guess is that it is probably not minor in nature. :(

PLUMMEN- I wouldn't want that hose that might put out oil anywhere near my back tire :unsure:

No need for a filter on that vent line....someone??? posted an informative article on this site detailing such
Mine has been unhooked from the airbox for36 years and still doesn't put out oil that drips anywhere. :ohmy:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
20 Aug 2014 21:32 #644664 by PLUMMEN
Not literally on the rear tire,just in that general direction under the seat! :laugh: If you run the hose like I said you will have nothing but vapor coming out the end of the hose,the oil will drain back down before it ever reaches the top.
Ive done it the same way for close to 30 years on more bikes than I care to try and count. :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
21 Aug 2014 03:22 - 21 Aug 2014 03:26 #644669 by Patton

The oil breather may be vented by a hose routed to exit underneath the bike.

Normal engine performance should not produce a discharge of liquid oil from the hose.

An aftermarket filter added to the breather or at end of hose is imo a worthless troublemaker, except of course in the unlikely event where needed to prevent alien oil-ravenous lifeforms from entering the breather.

A catch-can is used in racing situations to help avoid any expelled oil from being deposited onto the track surface.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 03:26 by Patton.

More
22 Aug 2014 07:02 #644776 by runmikeyrun
Replied by runmikeyrun on topic Oil breather dripping oil- need breather tank?
cool, thank you everyone!

The oil is not overfilled.

I went investigating and it seems that although the oil SEEMED to have been dripping from the spot above where the breather is, after some riding and another puddle the whole breather assembly was dry.

I looked closer and it seems that it is coming from the valve cover, seeping down towards the inner cylinder, then coming out a relief hole near the tach drive. The tach drive was my first suspect, due to the oil around it, but after replacing the o-ring to no avail, I think I have finally tracked it down.

I gave the valve cover bolts a slight tightening around the area and we'll see what happens. If it doesn't fix it then it's time for a new gasket.

Thanks again for everyone's input! It did help me to eliminate the breather as a suspect.

Monkey? MONKEY? I'm a GORILLA you CLOWN!