Gasket sealant

More
31 Jul 2014 15:33 #642184 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gasket sealant
I always use a line of sealer across the top of the rubber cam end plugs. They always leaked because the valve cover gasket takes a "step" at the edge of the surface where the aluminum stops and the rubber begins. The gasket squeezes thinner between two aluminum surfaces, but not as thin over the rubber so there is a thickness change at that edge and it will seep oil there.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2014 18:48 #642198 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Gasket sealant

bountyhunter wrote: I always use a line of sealer across the top of the rubber cam end plugs. They always leaked because the valve cover gasket takes a "step" at the edge of the surface where the aluminum stops and the rubber begins. The gasket squeezes thinner between two aluminum surfaces, but not as thin over the rubber so there is a thickness change at that edge and it will seep oil there.

+1 I Do the same, plus I use an RTV sealant, it doesn't dry brick hard :blink: like some of these sealants being recommended .
My current favorite is Permatex Ultra Black Professional for almost everything.( except gasoline)
My view of sealants is, it can't hurt, take a few extra minutes and put it on...Why Not :ohmy:
Now that old time Permatex...anyone that uses that on a bike engine should be shot :woohoo:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
31 Jul 2014 19:31 - 31 Jul 2014 22:11 #642212 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Gasket sealant
Use the aerosol copper coat on top side of valve cover gasket to help hold it to the valve cover,let it tack up before installing.Will make your life much easier installing/removing valve cover with out tearing it.
Cylinder base gasket,spray both sides and let tack up before install.
Case cover gaskets,same as base gasket.
Carb bowl/bottem gaskets?Make like Susie chap stick and smear it (chap stick)on both sides o fnew gaskets before installing,they wont stick/tear when you remove the bowls
The last time I had a dry cylinder base gasket installed on a kz900 leak the engineers from Kawasaki were no where to be found, :sick: :woohoo:
The mechanic who used to wrench on my backhoes and excavators turned me on to the aerosol copper coat years ago and I haven't had any leaks since. ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2014 22:11 by PLUMMEN.

More
31 Jul 2014 21:30 #642228 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gasket sealant

ezrider714 wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: I always use a line of sealer across the top of the rubber cam end plugs. They always leaked because the valve cover gasket takes a "step" at the edge of the surface where the aluminum stops and the rubber begins. The gasket squeezes thinner between two aluminum surfaces, but not as thin over the rubber so there is a thickness change at that edge and it will seep oil there.

+1 I Do the same, plus I use an RTV sealant, it doesn't dry brick hard :blink: like some of these sealants being recommended .
My current favorite is Permatex Ultra Black Professional for almost everything.

That's what I used on my rebuild and it worked great.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Aug 2014 05:58 #642264 by koloj
Replied by koloj on topic Gasket sealant
Oh ya another question which way does the metal side of the head gasket go u know how one side has metal showing on one side...when I took my block apart guy had diff kind of head gasket
The following user(s) said Thank You: 74ullc

More
06 Aug 2014 10:14 #642893 by koloj
Replied by koloj on topic Gasket sealant
Oh one picture on the Bible days put liquid gasket on the head gasket with four arrows wouldn't it get to hot and melt also when u apply liquid gasket to the other gaskets how much should I apply like on the can guard and around the valve cover ends

More
06 Aug 2014 11:26 #642902 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gasket sealant
Apply a thin coat. Otherwise the excess stuff will squeeze out when you tighten things up and end up floating around in the motor oil until it lodges in some small orifice which will cause a problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
06 Aug 2014 12:06 #642911 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Gasket sealant

650ed wrote: Apply a thin coat. Otherwise the excess stuff will squeeze out when you tighten things up and end up floating around in the motor oil until it lodges in some small orifice which will cause a problem. Ed

I watched a guy putting an intake manifold on a brand new 427 chevy he just had built by a high end race engine builder in Omaha.
He pitched the end gaskets which is normal and ran a bead of rtv across each end,instead of a small bead he ran what looked like half of the tube across each end and slammed the intake down on it.
I told him that big pile of slime coming through the outside of his intake looked just like the inside,he told me I was crazy and it wasn't a problem. :sick:
A couple moths later his hydraulic lifters started going flat,when he took the motor back to the machine shop to bitch about it the engine builder pulled the pan and showed him all the silicone and metal shavings in the oil pump pickup.
That econo sized tube of rtv cost him several thousand dollars for another new 427 chevy. ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
06 Aug 2014 12:39 #642920 by nlneilson
Replied by nlneilson on topic Gasket sealant
I have not tried the gascacinch' but maybe will try it sometime.

I have used the Permatex blue (I don't know if that is #1 or #2 with very good results and it can be removed easily. They also make a spray can that can be used without taking something apart. Just follow the directions on the can I like to use a vacuum cleaner cleaner to apply suction to pull the sealant into larger cracks, like the oil pan gasket on a Porsche where the engine would need to be removed to take the pan off. I have also used that on motorcycles. Saved a lot of time and work.

Neil
KZ1000P