kz1000 #1 not firing please help

More
12 Apr 2015 23:17 #667751 by Garbosh
Replied by Garbosh on topic kz1000 #1 not firing please help
Yes my jets went from 105 up to 127, the pilots went up too. The clown before me cut the baffles out and welded the ends back on so it was running kinda lean. I want to open the intake side and get new exhaust pipes that have baffles but isn't as restrictive as stock. I feel like it would be a good mix.

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2015 16:23 #667834 by Garbosh
Alright everyone, got the carb back on with all the hoses hooked up. Tried starting it...no luck. I noticed that my pilot screw adjuster was all the way tightened, so I unscrewed it one full turn...no luck...should I unscrew it more or should that be enough? I then shot some carb cleaner through the carbs and she started right up to the point where it redlined until the carb cleaner was out of the system...honestly scarred the S**T out of me but it died after it started briefly. Note I did not turn my throttle at all, she redlined by herself, probably the carb cleaners fault. The bowls of the carb are full so the fuel is getting in there. I cleaned it real well and replaced all the jets and such. Maybe I need to loosen my pilot screws more? I think im going to take the carbs off the engine but still leave it all hooked up and see if it squirts out. I did try the choke as well. no luck. It may not even be the carb at all. I still had very low compression numbers. The whole engine may need taken down, new rings might be in order. Any more ideas?

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

More
18 Apr 2015 16:13 #668576 by Garbosh
So I pulled my carb out like this and tried turning it over, to see if the pilot jets "shoot/squirt" anything out of that little hole. Nothing comes out at all, I can see the main jet pulsating fuel through it just a little, around the need. It's more of a small leak. So I know the main jet has juice. So is maybe the issue with that channel for the pilot?

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks
Attachments:

More
19 Apr 2015 01:07 - 19 Apr 2015 01:08 #668636 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic kz1000 #1 not firing please help

Garbosh wrote: So I pulled my carb out like this and tried turning it over, to see if the pilot jets "shoot/squirt" anything out of that little hole. Nothing comes out at all, I can see the main jet pulsating fuel through it just a little, around the need. It's more of a small leak. So I know the main jet has juice. So is maybe the issue with that channel for the pilot?

What the heck are talking about? You can't have any fuel leaving any carb that is not exposed to a low pressure... (the vacuum created by the engine turning over). Do you have an understanding of how normally aspirated, carburetor engines work?

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 19 Apr 2015 01:08 by missionkz.

More
19 Apr 2015 11:50 #668699 by Mellvis
Replied by Mellvis on topic kz1000 #1 not firing please help
It really sounds like the carbs are just not adjusted properly and/or more gunk in the carb bodies. Did you completely disassemble every part and soak the bodies in cleaner?

The compression issue is likely just valve adjustment unless the bike has been severely mistreated. These carbs are very meticulous and it takes lots of time and experience to get them right. My first KZ took me and a veteran KZ mechanic about a year to get the carbs right. No shame in it, just be persistent and know what your doing before doing it. Running lean can melt the engine!

More
19 Apr 2015 12:18 #668707 by Garbosh
Alright everyone I guess I was comparing carbs to fuel injection. Completely my mistake/fault. So I re-looked, and checked everything out. So I went over how I removed the air box and was wanting to do pods. Yes my jet sizes went up. So I thought well, what all was connected...and completely forgot about the pcv emissions system that is hook from the carb to the valve cover. So I disconnected the system and plugged the nipples on the carb because it was pretty much a vacuum leak because I'm not using the box....the bike started right up!!!! I've tuned the pilot screws and idle screw...idles perfect. Give it some gas and she opens up a breathes perfect!! I do need to check my plug tips and still make sure that she's running proper, and guess what....cylinder 1 is firing!! Thanks everyone for your help!

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks