kz1000 #1 not firing please help

More
11 Apr 2015 20:30 #667568 by Garbosh
Replied by Garbosh on topic kz1000 #1 not firing please help
Hey everyone, sorry it took so long for me to get back. I took the majority advice and took my bike apart and have my carbs all broken down. I feel like they were all gummed up. I bought a carb kit for each carb and am in the process of rebuild them. So excited. Upon tearing it apart, someone before me stripped the pilots, which would indicate they tried to take them out but failed. So I went out and got a screw reverse bit, they all came out fairly easy. So I'm thinking a good kit would fix the issue. At least I'm hoping. I've ran into a problem, the float bowl pins will not pop out. I've been sitting here tapping for some time now with no success. Anyone have any tips on how to pop them through without breaking the prongs??

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
11 Apr 2015 20:49 #667571 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic kz1000 #1 not firing please help
I've watched several videos on YouTube where guys take a socket, or similar, and support the aluminum arm while they tap cwith a small punch and hammer....

I'd say do a quick video search for float pin removal... ??

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
11 Apr 2015 20:49 #667572 by Garbosh
So I thought they needed just love taps.....gave them some a few hard ones and 3 popped out, working on the last.

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

More
11 Apr 2015 21:07 - 11 Apr 2015 21:08 #667577 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz1000 #1 not firing please help
Could soak the float towers for a day or so in a 50-50 mixture of acetone and ATF.

Or keep the float pin areas doused for a day or so with the same mixture, or Kroil or Liquid Wrench, or PBBlaster.

Tap ever so gently.
And fashion a method to support both posts simultaneously while tapping on either end of the pin.

The float towers have a nasty habit of breaking apart while attempting to remove a stuck pin. :pinch:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Apr 2015 21:08 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garbosh

More
11 Apr 2015 22:25 #667589 by Garbosh
Ugh, still working on it, I'm able to twist it with a needle nose. So I know it's moving and not completly froze up. I'll need a new pin after all this probably haha. Took a break and decided to removing some....pins....don't know the name but one was so froze up I needed to tap into it with a the reverser...and a breaker bar...I was sweating bullets of nervousness but bam. Came out haha.

Attachment image.jpg not found

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks
Attachments:

More
11 Apr 2015 22:46 #667591 by Garbosh
I think what I may have to do is use a globe like carbid cutter on a dremel, and very carefully press on the end of the pin..just to make an indentation, and to take off a flare if I had made one.

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
12 Apr 2015 07:21 - 12 Apr 2015 07:24 #667625 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic kz1000 #1 not firing please help
Those are jet needles used in the low speed system. Rather than worry about the burrs/flare on the end of the needle, where the slot used to be, I'd be more concerned that the threaded portion has been flared out to a larger diameter by the easy out. If you reuse the one you drilled out, how will you adjust it later?
Best of luck.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 12 Apr 2015 07:24 by KZQ.

More
12 Apr 2015 11:54 #667655 by Garbosh
My kits that I have purchased came with new ones, or I would not have done that. I was able to just now free up that last pin, I'll need a new one because it got rather bent up. So pretty much I'm good to go, I have some carb cleaner and am ready with a tooth brush and pipe cleaners, then re assemble.

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2015 12:54 #667662 by Patton
Including information about bike year and model in every post is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.

It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.

And the signature may be changed whenever and as often as desired.

If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do.

Here's how:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2015 13:04 #667664 by Patton

Carb cleaner spray and compressed air are very useful toward restoring carbs to as-new condition.

Of particularly critical importance is cleanliness of the small passageway where fuel feeds into the pilot jet (see diagram) and cleanliness of both orifices where fuel mixture enters at top of the carb bore (see diagram).

Should wear goggles or safety glasses when spraying carb cleaner and compressed air, because the spray always backfires. ALWAYS.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2015 16:10 #667689 by Garbosh
Awesome, thank you for that information. I was kind of partial about that bent bowl pin.;.. thinking well if I can bend it back maybe I can just use that. Well. Bent it back and its doing its job. Ha. I have it all put back together with all the new jets, gaskets, O-rings and all. I just need to put it back in and prey that THAT was what was causing the cylinder from firing. I will hopefully be able to work on that on Tuesday. Also, I may get flamed for this, but I do want to have individual velocity stacks/pods for this bike. I know they are difficult to tune carb wise. I am up for the challenge. I am not up for the challenge of trying to wiggle the carbs back between the bike and stock box. It took me 1 1/2 hours and a sore back trying to pull it out of there. In the picture there are intake tubes that came from the stock box that fit perfectly and I can get thick foam and attach to them. Plus I love the sound an open intake makes. I will update on Tuesday if I can get them in.

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks
Attachments:

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
12 Apr 2015 22:05 #667745 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic kz1000 #1 not firing please help
Did u increase your jet size for pods?

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style