Oil

More
27 Jun 2014 19:06 #638192 by gremlin497
Oil was created by gremlin497
Looking for input on best choices for oil to put in 77 kz 1000.
All input is welcome
Thanks

1977 KZ 1075 (FBG), 29 Smoothbores V&H Mega

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2014 19:11 #638193 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil
Take a look at the following link. All of it contains info that should be helpful; the 3rd section discusses oil. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Jun 2014 19:28 #638196 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Oil
Best Oils To Use In Your Bike (Just My Opinion)

Engine oil : The commercial grade oils are clearly superior to the mass market oils. For the best protection in your bike or car, use Shell Rotella Synthetic, available at Wal-Mart in blue containers . For the best petroleum oil you can buy, get Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac 1300, or Chevron Delo 400, available at any auto parts store. On the back of most oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. All XXw-20 and XXw-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle. Don't buy any oil additives like STP or Slick-50. Here's several listings on all about oil justifying these conclusions.

The Recommended Synthetic Oils :
Shell Rotella Synthetic
5w-40 Delvac 1 Synthetic
5w-40 Mobil-1 SUV/Truck Synthetic
5w-40 AMSOil AMF Synthetic (pricey, but it’s your money)
10w-40 Golden Spectro Synthetic
10w-50 Motul 5100 Synthetic
10w-40 Mobil-1 Synthetic
15w-50 Mobil-1 MX4T Synthetic

The best synthetics are: (in no particular order)

Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40 (blue container, not white), gallon at Wal-Mart.
Mobil Delvac-1 5w-40 (grey container, not black), gallon at Petro stations, gallon at Farm and Fleet.
Mobil-1 SUV 5w-40, qt anywhere.
AMSOil AMF 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil. (again, pricey)
Golden Spectro Supreme, (no price).
Motul 5100 Ester, (no price).

Mobil-1 automotive oils all contain small amounts of moly - about 100 to 200 ppm. This can cause clutch slippage in some motorcycles. I've only heard of this being a problem in Honda Shadows.

The Recommended Petroleum Oils

Chevron Delo 400 15w-40
Delvac 1300 15w-40
Shell Rotella 15w-40

The best petroleum oils are: (in no particular order)

Chevron Delo 400 15w-40 (blue container) gallon at any auto parts store, gallons at Costco.

Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 (black container) gallon at any auto parts store, gallons at Sam's Club.

Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 (white container) gallon at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store, gallons at Sam's Club.

Castrol 15w-40 (Green container) gallon at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store, gallons at Sam’s club.

If you live in another country, you'll have to do a bit of research to decide on an oil. Generally, any oil certified for use in a late model Volks wagon or Mercedes turbo diesel is a good choice. Another good idea is to go to a truck stop and ask the truckers about brands. Rotella is marketed all over the world, but in other countries it's called Rotella or Rimola or Helix Ultra, and the formulation may be a bit different, depending on local climate and preferences. It will likely also be a lot more expensive than it is here.

One last thing to consider is whether oil contains friction modifier additives. For improved fuel economy, most passenger car oils have such an additive. But the wet clutch in your bike doesn’t perform right with friction modifiers. Universal engine oils don’t have friction modifiers.

Be careful choosing diesel oils. Not all of them are universal. In addition to the API Service Category CI-4 PLUS for diesels, look for API Service Category SL.

Premium universal oils like Shell ROTELLA T Multigrade are formulated for heavy-duty performance, and your bike engine has some heavy-duty challenges for oil. For optimum performance, be sure your oil is up to the challenge.

JASO OIL SPECS:
Find an oil that shows the JASO-MA rating on the bottle; there are plenty of them available both dino and synthetic.

The ingredients in oils have changed over the years. For example, today's Castrol GTX oil (and pretty much all other AUTOMOBILE oil) is not the same as it was in the 1980's. Back then it worked great in KZ bikes. But, things have changed. Early AUTOMOBILE oils contained zinc phosphorus compounds (ZDDP) to protect engines from metal to metal contact. This was good for engines, but it was found to be destructive to catalytic converters. Consequently, in AUTOMOBILE oils ZDDP was virtually eliminated and replaced with different chemistry generically referred to as "Friction Modifiers."

These work fine and offer good protection for normal AUTOMOBILE engines. However, today's AUTOMOBILE oil "Friction Modifiers" are destructive to wet clutches. KZ bikes (and many other brands) have wet clutches. As a result of these oil chemistry changes a distinction needed to be made between those oils which are suitable for wet clutches and those which are not.

That distinction was documented by the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO). JASO developed a number of different oil specifications for different applications. The specifications that apply to 4 stroke motorcycles fall under the "4T Specifications." Within the 4T specifications the JASO MA class oils are specifically formulated for 4 stroke motorcycles with wet clutches.

Using oils that are not designated as meeting the JASO-MA standard may be destructive to KZ clutches.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 Jun 2014 20:32 #638204 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Oil
I am old school, just love the smell of bean oil in the cool morning air!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2014 20:38 #638206 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Oil
The most important thing is to keep the oil clean and changed ,no matter what brand you use. :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 Jun 2014 21:45 - 27 Jun 2014 21:45 #638231 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Oil

PLUMMEN wrote: The most important thing is to keep the oil clean and changed ,no matter what brand you use. :)

+100 A decent oil (like Rotella dino or Valvoline) changed every 1500miles will keep the engine a lot better than a syn that is run 3000 - 4000 miles.

An interesting note: "oil failures" are almost never related to a failure of the base oil itself, it's because the chemicals in the additive package get worn out or used up.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 27 Jun 2014 21:45 by bountyhunter.

More
28 Jun 2014 06:12 #638247 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Oil

PLUMMEN wrote: The most important thing is to keep the oil clean and changed ,no matter what brand you use. :)

Almost. Use the oil that is the best for your clutch and transmission, then follow this rule.
I use Rotella T, but YMMV.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
28 Jun 2014 07:09 #638254 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil
Another vote for diesel engine oil; more zinc and phosphorus than auto oils, and none of the "energy conserving" additives that are so common in auto oils these days, and mess with wet clutches. Rotella is a safe choice, but there are various other brands of quality diesel oil as well.

More
28 Jun 2014 23:32 #638336 by 0Z.Z1R Mk2
Replied by 0Z.Z1R Mk2 on topic Oil

1976 KH 500 triple
1978 Z1R D1
1980 Z1R MK2
1983 Gpz750 turbo
2007 ZRX 1200r
1982 GSX 1000S Katana
1983 GSX 1000S Katana
Don't knock my turbo lag - it gives your naturally aspirated a chance..

More
29 Jun 2014 05:32 #638345 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Oil
i use this

[IMG

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

More
29 Jun 2014 17:55 #638393 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Oil

gengomerpyle wrote: i use this

+1 Except 20w-50 for me.. ;)

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
01 Jul 2014 01:58 #638547 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Oil
This subject seems to be taboo on many motorcycle forums, but I haven't seen that attitude on this one.....good.

Probably more info than you want to know, but.....

motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I have been reading a lot about oils recently because I just bought a 1984 Honda VF700F. They are notorious for cam/rocker wear. You MUST run a good oil in those bikes or you WILL have cam damage. Our Kz's are much more forgiving but you still should run a good oil.

A big issue you will see with motorcycles and oil is shear, a big reason for this is because the oil runs in the transmission also. The gears will shear the polymer strands and thin the oil, a 40 weight will become a 30 after x number of miles, as an example.

Synthetics are much better because they don't rely on polymer strands to give them their viscosity. A regular dino 10w-40 is just a 10 weight oil with these polymers added to give it its thickness (viscosity) at operating temp. Shearing the polymer strands starts changing the oil back into its original 10 weight. I guess if you left it in there long enough it would eventually?

So looks like synthetics are going to be the better choice in motorcycles, at least for now.

So far from my internet reading some of the best oils are Amsoil, Rotella 5w-40 full synthetic and Golden Spectro. Read lots of good stuff about Motul and Redline also.

The Rotella T6 wins because of price, just over $20 for a gallon at Walmart. The others I listed are $12 per quart and up. Yes Rotella it sold as a diesel oil, and its a 5w not a 10w but that probably doesn't matter. Its a 40 weight when at operating temp and it is JASO MA so its good in a wet clutch.

Seems like if money doesn't matter then amsoil wins everytime.

But keep in mind this is all just stuff I have been reading on the internet lately. ;)

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN, bluezbike