My first compression test with a motorcycle

More
22 Jun 2014 13:00 - 22 Jun 2014 14:07 #637533 by Nduetime
So I just performed a compression (dry? no added oil in cylinders) test on my KZ400 d3. And I have a question regarding the procedure. I've pulled both spark plugs and have removed the cutaway slide to my PWK 35 carb. I figured this would be the essentially the same thing as opening the throttle fully. I proceeded to kickstart it several time to get my readings. My question pertains to my first couple attempts at this. I noticed that my readings were higher as I kicked with greater force. I'm not sure if that was just coincidence or not. Since my only other compression test experience is with a modern car, how much force should I be exerting? I just want to make sure I'm not TRYING to give my engine greater compression than is actually true, if that's even possible.

Here are video results of each cylinder:

left/dry ~120 psi
[IMG

right/dry ~110 psi
[IMG

'77 KZ400 D4
Last edit: 22 Jun 2014 14:07 by Nduetime.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2014 13:17 - 22 Jun 2014 13:23 #637535 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic My first compression test with a motorcycle
compression is produced if stoke of piston is fast or slow.......

the faster the stoke the quicker to max compression.

the slower the stroke the slower to max compression.

either way....you get to max compression.

this is based on a sound engine able to hold compression.

problems that will cause compression bleed off are.

cam timing
valve clearance
valve seat wear
valve wear
bad rings
worn bore
worn piston
blown gasket
cracked head, cylinder or piston
burnt piston
Last edit: 22 Jun 2014 13:23 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
22 Jun 2014 13:38 #637540 by 650ed
You cannot get true compression readings like that, so do not be at all surprised or the least bit concerned when your compression readings are quite low. It does not indicate a problem other than an inaccurate test.

If you didn't do it - you must thoroughly warm up the engine first. The pistons are tapered toward the top and expand when at full operating temperature; also warming up the engine puts the proper amount of oil on the cylinder walls so you are replicating normal operating conditions. Both of these things help create a better seal between the pistons, rings, and cylinder walls.

You must have a fully charged battery and use the electric starter; kicking it won't pump up the pressure like the starter will.

I suggest you read the procedure in your Kawasaki Service Manual under "CYLINDER BLOCK, PISTONS" in the "MAINTENANCE - ENGINE" section. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Jun 2014 14:03 #637549 by Nduetime
Replied by Nduetime on topic My first compression test with a motorcycle

650ed wrote: You must have a fully charged battery and use the electric starter; kicking it won't pump up the pressure like the starter will.

Seriously? :( One more thing to address before I check to see if it's a healthy engine before I go pumping more money into it. Catch-22 I suppose. Oh well. Time to figure out why the electric start doesn't work (kickstart works fine...although a little more effort than I've seen with other bikes on youtube.)

'77 KZ400 D4