K&N Oil FIlters

More
13 Jun 2014 13:04 - 13 Jun 2014 13:05 #636507 by 650ed
K&N Oil FIlters was created by 650ed
I have been using K&N (KN-401) oil filters since 2005 and was very pleased with their quality. In the last batch I bought (September 2013) I found they are now made in China. When I noticed this I compared the new filters to the old ones; I had 4 old ones and 4 new ones to compare. The filters made in China are of inferior quality. I found that the old ones, which were made in Thailand, each had 61 pleats, and the filters were all the exact same height. The new filters from China each have 57 pleats - that's a 6.5% decrease in filtering media, and they vary in height by more than 1/8". I'm not saying they are trash, but K&N definitely has lowered the quality of their oil filters.

In September sent an email to K&N regarding this change, but they did not reply. That leaves me with the impression that they do not care about the customer.

Before these are all used I will start looking at different oil filters to see how they compare. If anyone has a favorite oil filter I'd like to hear about it.
Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 13:05 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: P21, nickleo373

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2014 13:31 #636508 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic K&N Oil FIlters
Ed I have never really liked K&N, back when I was a mechanic I made good money fixing MAF and throttle body sensors gunked up with that red oil. Their oil filters for both motorcycles and cars are just plain over priced. I try to find WIX filter products when I can. I think they have decent consistentt quality and are reasonably priced. They can be found at OReilly's and I believe some are sold under a NAPA brand.

Just my 2 cents...

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, PLUMMEN

More
13 Jun 2014 13:34 #636509 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic K&N Oil FIlters
thanks Ed for the heads up

i use HiFlo never had any problems so far

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
13 Jun 2014 13:39 #636510 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic K&N Oil FIlters
here is site if its not aloud on here please take down

www.hiflofiltro.com/

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
13 Jun 2014 18:12 #636532 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic K&N Oil FIlters
Have never used their oil filters, just cause they make the best air filters doesn't mean they know anything about oil filters. I can hear the bean counters now "filters are filters we can make more money...yada yada yada :whistle:
However those numbers you provided sounds like alot of nothing..6% less whoopee unless you're racing and looking for the last per cent of everything I don't think it matters one bit. I never leave my filter in long enough to worry about it.3000 miles max..
Anyone getting filter oil down the intake passageway is using way to much oil... you know the old if a little is good alot is much better.... then take it to a mechanic :blink:

Using Puralator filter's now that I get at the local Advance Auto Parts store

I'd quit using the K&N's just cause they didn't reply :evil: I'm funny that way :lol:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
13 Jun 2014 18:18 #636534 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic K&N Oil FIlters

650ed wrote: I have been using K&N (KN-401) oil filters since 2005 and was very pleased with their quality. In the last batch I bought (September 2013) I found they are now made in China. When I noticed this I compared the new filters to the old ones; I had 4 old ones and 4 new ones to compare. The filters made in China are of inferior quality. I found that the old ones, which were made in Thailand, each had 61 pleats, and the filters were all the exact same height. The new filters from China each have 57 pleats - that's a 6.5% decrease in filtering media, and they vary in height by more than 1/8". I'm not saying they are trash, but K&N definitely has lowered the quality of their oil filters. Ed

That's the main problem with using China as a manufacturing source: no quality control.

Just ask Apple.... :ohmy:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Jun 2014 20:34 #636554 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic K&N Oil FIlters
Napa filters are wix. :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
14 Jun 2014 03:30 #636573 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic K&N Oil FIlters
Between poisonous dog treats, lead painted children's toys, ammonia expelling gypsum board, foodstuff bordering on criminal AND poisoning the air , water and minds of the planet China will devolve into the Blade Runner syndrome. It's pretty close now in big cities. Hopefully we survive to see it catch fire and fall back into dust. Then there are still Korea and most of Indonesia. Nice world we are building huh? We better find another planet to F'up real soon. KZ World and it should be very green.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts