Buzzing/vibrating/rattle from exhaust cam area?

More
11 Jun 2014 18:35 #636233 by apbling
Last year I noticed a small buzz/vibration in my 82 550 coming from the exhaust cam area on #1 cylinder. It would only do it at certain mid to low rpms and was much worse when cold. Life got in the way and this year when I started it up it seemed worse. I took a video of it the other night, but the buzz/rattle wasn't as prominent, but I seem to be really able to hear the cam chain rattle. So, maybe it's just a tensioner problem, but if it's not, what could make a noise like that? Stock everything, except I removed the emission system and ran a hose between the reed valves. Bike seems to run fine. I'll attempt to post a video of it in a moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2014 18:42 #636234 by apbling

Ok maybe it's not obvious to hear. I can try and get another video. The carbs do cough a few times...she was pretty cold when I took this.

More
11 Jun 2014 19:01 - 11 Jun 2014 19:06 #636237 by daveo
Does it make a difference if the reed valves are removed from the cam cover?
My old cam cover (w/emissions) had the holes plugged to prevent exhaust from entering the reed valve areas. When one of the threaded plugs became loose, it was very-noticeable that something was up. :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 11 Jun 2014 19:06 by daveo.

More
12 Jun 2014 05:25 #636284 by apbling
What did yours do?

More
12 Jun 2014 07:20 #636294 by daveo

apbling wrote: What did yours do?

It was loud, like a loose exhaust connection at the head. The reed valves had previously been removed though.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
12 Jun 2014 09:27 #636312 by apbling
Gotcha. Yeah mine was an annoying buzz, but it seems to have gotten much worse. I wonder if my stock cam chain tensioner is stuck. I'll try and get a better vid of it, then maybe just pop the cam cover off to see just what I got going on in there.

Was hoping that someone wasn't going to say "yup, oil starvation. Look for a new head and cam"

More
12 Jun 2014 09:50 #636315 by daveo
If you haven't already, try removing the reed valves from the valve cover. I'm guessing, but the noise may be the reeds vibrating. since you've altered the system. :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
12 Jun 2014 10:32 #636320 by apbling
I'll try that too. Guess I'll have to make a gasket or either have some block off plates made because i think the reed valve piece is the sealing surface...

More
12 Jun 2014 15:56 #636363 by daveo

apbling wrote: I'll try that too. Guess I'll have to make a gasket or either have some block off plates made because i think the reed valve piece is the sealing surface...

May want to get a second (or more) opinion, but its a simple place to start.
The old cam cover I had, came with the four exhaust ports tapped with set-screws, threaded from the reed-valve side...tightened down real-snug, with nothing on the threads. I'm not sure the size, but 3/8" or so. I'd be happy to check if you want...but yours may need a different size. :unsure:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
12 Jun 2014 16:17 #636366 by apbling
Well the plot thickens. Tried to fire it up now to get a better video. It would NOT start. Finally after much cranking I got it to run, but very very poorly. Had to keep throttle wide open, only would do 2-3k rpm and was missing badly. All 4 headers were warm though so I'm thinking that my cam chain is really loose or my timing is off or something. Yeehaa.

More
13 Jun 2014 12:10 #636499 by loudhvx
I wouldn't remove the reed cage. They often break if you have to pull too hard. They are just weak pot metal frames. Just cap off the ports and that will stop any flow. They are the sealing surface for the covers on the first two generation 550's.

But it sounds like you will need to remove the valve covers and check the chain and cam timing, from your new non-starting problem.

More
18 Jun 2014 11:22 #637085 by apbling
Well, good a bad news. Good news is she is running again. I pulled the cam cover off... inspected everything... looked normal. Tensioner looked good and it was in time. I decided since I was in there I'd pull the cams for the heck of it. I did find a scored ring around the exhaust of #3 cylinder. It appears a burr from the oil galley edge caused it, but then again thats aluminum so it shouldn't, so maybe a little piece of crap got in there? I'll attach photos for your viewing pleasure.

Anyway, put all back together, dropped the oil and new filter w/ new rotella T. She fired right up and ran well. I went for a spin... couldn't go past 5k OR 1/2 throttle. Choke make it worse. Came back and started to think timing or advance. Then I remembered I left the petcock on prime the last time I used it. So... I took a peak in the airbox... My filter was doing backstrokes in about 12 oz of gas. So I pulled the filter, dried the gas up and started it with no filter. She could get past 5k now....so essentially it was running with gas in the airbox AND a saturated filter....super duper choke I guess.

Anyway....what do you guys think about this scoring?

Attachments: