1980 kz750 E1 secondary shaft weirdness

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
24 Apr 2014 16:47 #630261 by DoctoRot
1980 kz750 E1 secondary shaft weirdness was created by DoctoRot
The starter clutch appeared to be shot on this old dog. So i pulled the secondary shaft and stuff. I noticed that the nut on the secondary shaft was only finger tight when i removed it, and i noticed the circlip that holds the secondary shaft gear on was bent and not really being held on. I removed it and two of the splines fell off the shaft. There also is a extra copper 1mm washer next to one of the spacers on the shaft that is not in the parts diagrams. I bought new spacers because these were pretty beat up, and new circlip and needle bearing for the starter clutch gear. Someone has obviously been mucking about in here. Should i replace the secondary shaft because of the broken teeth? should i put this copper washer back in?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
28 Apr 2014 16:24 #630740 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic 1980 kz750 E1 secondary shaft weirdness
well i put the new circlip on there and it seems like it will hold fine. Anybody got a recommendation in sticking that extra washer back in there? im putting this back together tomorrow.

More
29 Apr 2014 07:40 - 29 Apr 2014 07:41 #630785 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic 1980 kz750 E1 secondary shaft weirdness
I would leave the copper washer out - apart from the big washer right behind the secondary shaft gear there should only be two washers on the shaft: one on each side of the roller bearing for the starter clutch gear.

When assembled the starter clutch gear will have a little sideways play (right about 1 mm incidentally), my guess is some po thought that was wrong and put in the extra washer.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2014 07:41 by OnkelB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctoRot