Gasket removal

More
02 Apr 2014 12:23 #627540 by J.Holiday
Gasket removal was created by J.Holiday
Greetings all. my engine was running pretty rough last season and leaking oil badly, from all sides. The previous owner had almost 6 qts in this poor thing and it blows 1.5 qt/hr at 4k rpm (65 mph) Due to available space, I have the engine still on the bike but disassembled down to the crank case. large parts are on boards in the garage, small stuff is sorted away. I have gotten most of the old gaskets removed and cleanup up pretty good but two areas defy me.

- The vacuum chambers atop the exhaust cam shaft are nearly welded in, the aluminum is softer than them.
- The crank case-cylinder gasket is mostly off but there is a lot of residue baked into the crank case. How clean does this need to be for a good seal? I'm a bit leery of taking scraper, steel wool, or scotch pads to the area out of fear that I'll slip up and either damage the case or get debris inside it.

Is there a tool or solvent you recommend?

'82 KZ1000 LTD First bike and a WIP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2014 13:26 #627554 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Gasket removal
I had accually used a 1 sided razor blade. Run it across a piece of 220 grit sand paper on one side to debur it and used that side down against the surface your cleaning, go slow and try not to gouge the surface.
It takes time there is no quik way to do it that I found. Good luck.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
02 Apr 2014 21:59 #627614 by J.Holiday
Replied by J.Holiday on topic Gasket removal
I'll try it and my patience together. will report if I stumble on a faster method.

More
03 Apr 2014 01:17 #627618 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gasket removal

moneypit wrote: I had accually used a 1 sided razor blade.

Me too. I tried every solvent available to remove the base gasket even brake fluid but it had to be scraped off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Apr 2014 01:19 #627619 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gasket removal

J.Holiday wrote: - The crank case-cylinder gasket is mostly off but there is a lot of residue baked into the crank case. How clean does this need to be for a good seal? I'm a bit leery of taking scraper, steel wool, or scotch pads to the area out of fear that I'll slip up and either damage the case or get debris inside it.

You stuff clean shop rags in the crank area around the piston rods to make sure nothing can drop down. Scrape a little while and then use the vacuum to slurp up the scrapings, then reset and scrape some more. was the worst part of my rebuild, took a couple of hours to get the cylinder base gasket off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Apr 2014 05:29 #627634 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Gasket removal
As bountyhunter suggested, use clean rags to plug the areas. And even then you have to be extremely careful when removing the rags so no debris falls in. I used a sharp plexiglass tool to get the big stuff off, then I used Roloc ScotchBrite red and green drill attachment pads to get it completely clean. I think I bought knock offs of the 3m version from Harbor Frieght. I used WD40 when using this method instead of doing it dry.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: J.Holiday

More
03 Apr 2014 05:39 #627635 by toad
Replied by toad on topic Gasket removal
I used a piece of copper pipe ; pointed on the end and sharpened worked good

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear

More
05 Apr 2014 19:03 - 05 Apr 2014 19:05 #627994 by Pindar
Replied by Pindar on topic Gasket removal
Yes there are solvents! aka Gasket Remover by Permatex or other.
www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Pe...dentifier=35009_0_0_

It won't do all the work for you but it will soften much of the gasket and make it much easier to delicately scrape off. I've repeated the process three times between scrapings for the most difficult job on a KZ650 recently.

Also , this stuff is great to clean the outside engine from old dried dirt and oil! pretty nifty. I think the active chemical is methylchloride.

Good luck!
Last edit: 05 Apr 2014 19:05 by Pindar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J.Holiday

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Apr 2014 06:05 #628040 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Gasket removal
That Permatex stuff is good. It will eat paint off the engine so you might want to spray it in a cup then dab it on with an acid brush or maybe a Q-tip (lay down a good thick coat). Let the stuff work for about 20 mins. then scrape with a single edge razor blade. The top layer of the gasket will be softened. Reapply the sauce a second time as needed. If you can force yourself to wait for the sauce to do it's thing, it will save you a lot of hand labor.

Good luck.

More
12 Apr 2014 08:17 #628781 by J.Holiday
Hey all, I haven't abandoned the thread just yet. Just started a trade crash course that has eaten all my time.

After much painstaking scrape scrub spray and scrape, I got the beast clean enough. Hardest part was on the crank case between pistons, vertical bolts, etc. Wish I had seen the Permatex Gasket Remover post in time, will remember for next time. Thanks for the ideas.

A note for future readers: Don't be a cheapskate. wash that engine before popping it open. Red scotchpads are amazing but must be use carefully as they can gouge aluminum. WD-40 works slightly better than carb cleaner for this project.

More
12 Apr 2014 09:17 #628790 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic Gasket removal
People that read this post that don't know might want to invest in a good pair of rubber gloves. The Permatex gasket remover removes skin pretty good too

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

More
12 Apr 2014 09:27 #628796 by J.Holiday
Thanks for that, I'll have to get a pair. The carb cleaner and steel wool was pretty rough on the fingers too. soaked out a couple pair of leather gloves.