81 ltd1000 cam timing

More
05 Mar 2014 18:12 #624292 by lindseyss
81 ltd1000 cam timing was created by lindseyss
I can tear down a small block chevy and rebuild it. I have to replace the head gasket on my 81 LTD1000 K model and am unsure of the cam timing part. I would appericate any tips on this. Otherwise the Kawasaki dealer told me 300 labor plus parts today. I want to learn to tear this down if I want to build it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2014 19:05 #624303 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 81 ltd1000 cam timing
The best tip is to get hold of a Kawasaki Service Manual for your specific year / model bike. It will have all the info you will need, including how to, pictures, torque specs, etc. I wouldn't begin that task without having the book in hand. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Mar 2014 19:14 - 06 Mar 2014 16:22 #624305 by lindseyss
Replied by lindseyss on topic 81 ltd1000 cam timing
I do have the factory manual and the clymer manual also. I am just trying to figure what all I will need to do it myself. head gaskets, valve cover gasket, igintion cover gasket. Isn't there copper gasket around the stud for the oil going to the head? Is there any tricks to getting the cams right?
Last edit: 06 Mar 2014 16:22 by lindseyss. Reason: Need to know what is needed to do this

More
06 Mar 2014 17:54 #624381 by lindseyss
Replied by lindseyss on topic 81 ltd1000 cam timing
Any tips?

More
06 Mar 2014 18:29 #624384 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic 81 ltd1000 cam timing
Top end gasket set is all u need gasket wise. Complete set is nice so you will have the others if you need them. Copper gaskets you're talking about are just washers on the four corners. There's an o-ring between the head and jug assembly too. Some people use other products instead of o-rings but I used them w no problem. You are supposed to use new studs because they are stress bolts but I re-used the old ones. Re-surfacing your head is always a good idea. Make sure all gasket surfaces are totally clean before install. As far as the cams go, set your timing mark at crank , install exhaust cam first ,then intake. Tighten in a star pattern a little at a time before torquing to keep from stripping cam cap bolts. Don't over torque. Those bolt holes strip easy. Make sure marks are pointed the right way and install tensioner always make a few revolutions w a wrench on the crank before hitting starter button to make sure you are not bound or hitting a valve. Refer to manual. It's a life saver!

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n
The following user(s) said Thank You: lindseyss

More
08 Mar 2014 07:45 #624503 by z1wiz
Replied by z1wiz on topic 81 ltd1000 cam timing

jonarmstrong wrote: You are supposed to use new studs because they are stress bolts but I re-used the old ones.

Where are you getting this information that says they are stress bolts and need to be replaced? Maybe on a different bike? The Kawasaki shop manual for this model says nothing about changing out the studs. The only time I have ever changed them is when I replaced them with APE studs when doing a performance upgrade.

Over 30 years with z1's, Currently down to only one 75, a j model dragbike, and 2 KZ1000 dragbikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonarmstrong

More
10 Mar 2014 17:57 #624759 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic 81 ltd1000 cam timing
Either from this forum or kawisaki motorcycle forum. My manual doesn't state it either but I had a broken stud and was told they were stress bolts. As I said, I re-used mine along w one from another engine I have to replace the broken one because ape studs were out of my price range a year ago when I rebuilt my engine. And as I also said, I've had no problem w them. Thanks for the info. I thought it was a little overboard to replace them every time the head was taken off

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n