Finally Heard It Run

• ChopFinger123
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2014 13:55 #624048 by ChopFinger123
Finally Heard It Run was created by ChopFinger123
Well i finally got the ole kz1000 shafty running. Its still blowing out the carbs sometimes when trying to start Im not sure what that is. I figured it would run lean because of the pods on it but i pulled a plug and it was black. That usually means that its too rich right?
I can't get it to stay running without choke either. The timing was retarded just a little but i advanced it.
Sometimes on start up it'll make a clang sound then blow smoke out the carbs. Im hoping this isn't the valves hitting the piston but when its running it sounds good. No noise from the top end or bottom end.
I know the carbs need adjusting but if that's not my only problem and you can understand this post id appreciate any help.
Oh and i guess i need to do a compression check also.
Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ChopFinger123
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2014 14:04 #624050 by ChopFinger123
Replied by ChopFinger123 on topic Finally Heard It Run
Oh i forgot to mention that after i shut it off it still has white smoke coming out the exhaust. Usually just the right side but sometimes both.

More
03 Mar 2014 16:28 #624068 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic Finally Heard It Run
Have you checked the voltage to the coils versus battery voltage? Have you looked at the spark on all 4 plugs? Should be a fat blue spark. Old or new coils, wires plugs? Needing the choke to run probably means dirty/clogged idle circuit in 1 or more, or all, carbs. Have you thoroughly cleaned the carbs and verified all circuits are clear? What carbs do you have?

Alan

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

• ChopFinger123
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2014 16:32 #624070 by ChopFinger123
Haven't checked voltage at coils yet. I am running a Dyna S ignition with new coils and wires. The spark looks good. I cleaned the carbs and checked all passages and they all flow well.
Am i correct that a black plug is a sign of rich fuel mixture?

• ChopFinger123
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2014 16:36 #624071 by ChopFinger123
Im not sure of the carb type. I have a factory service manual for a 1979 KZ1000E-1 Shaft that says they had VM28SS carbs but my bike is a 1980 KZ1000E-2Shaft. Im not sure if they changed the carbs for those year models.

More
03 Mar 2014 19:22 #624086 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Finally Heard It Run
Have you checked your float levels with the clear tube method?

Here is a spark plug reference guide for you.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Attachments:

• ChopFinger123
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2014 19:35 #624089 by ChopFinger123
Haven't got a chance to check the float level yet. I do need to do that. It may very well be the cause of my problems.
I have the pilot air screw out 1 1/2 turns too. Is that not enough or is that ok?

More
03 Mar 2014 20:47 #624096 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Finally Heard It Run
If it only runs on choke then the carbs are still clogged and dirty.

• ChopFinger123
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2014 20:53 #624098 by ChopFinger123
Well i haven't got them tuned just yet anyway (just bench synched) so i guess it wouldn't hurt anything to pull them back off and clean them again just to make sure.
Have any of you guys had the engine make a metallic clang noise while trying to start? It kinda sounds bad so Im a little afraid of what it might be. Im hoping it is because it is running rich and trying to push the unburnt fuel through the valves. That's not good but its better than having a piston slapping a valve i guess.

More
03 Mar 2014 22:35 #624104 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic Finally Heard It Run
I think checking your plug color when you need the choke to idle, you haven't ran the bike hard, or not doing a plug chop, probably isn't that useful. You can't do any tuning if you're on the choke, so you need to address that by cleaning the carbs. Can you get it off the choke by running the throttle stop up higher? And if so, at what rpm will it idle? Doubt the air screws are your problem as you should be able to compensate for misadjustment with the throttle stop, unless maybe the screw tips are bunged up. Mine idles about the same between 1/4 and 1 1/2 turns, but setting them correctly makes a difference on throttle response.

Is the clanging sound when the starter is turning over prior to starting? Could be the starter clutch slipping.

Alan

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

• ChopFinger123
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2014 22:48 #624106 by ChopFinger123
The clanging is when cranking it over. Sometimes it will stop turning over and kinda skip backward that's when it makes the noise. Its usually accompanied by a backfire through the carbs.

More
04 Mar 2014 02:55 #624114 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Finally Heard It Run

ChopFinger123 wrote: Well i finally got the ole kz1000 shafty running. Its still blowing out the carbs sometimes when trying to start Im not sure what that is. I figured it would run lean because of the pods on it but i pulled a plug and it was black. That usually means that its too rich right?
I can't get it to stay running without choke either. The timing was retarded just a little but i advanced it.
Sometimes on start up it'll make a clang sound then blow smoke out the carbs. Im hoping this isn't the valves hitting the piston but when its running it sounds good. No noise from the top end or bottom end.
I know the carbs need adjusting but if that's not my only problem and you can understand this post id appreciate any help.
Oh and i guess i need to do a compression check also.

Compression, fuel spark.

1) always check compression and valve lash, valve clearance tightens up over time
causing the valves to leak

2) sounds like your pilot jets are clogged

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0