Frozen clutch cable

More
26 Jan 2014 14:54 #620144 by Britome
Frozen clutch cable was created by Britome
This bike hasn't been ridden in years and the first project is getting the clutch cable to engage and snap back freely. I finally got it unfrozen but it doesn't move freely. Is this part supposed to be spring loaded? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Attachment image.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2014 16:54 #620154 by JimB
Replied by JimB on topic Frozen clutch cable
Britome,
The part in the pic when pulled by the clutch cable pushes the clutch rod that then pushes against the clutch plates. Behind that part is a rod with a ball bearing that goes thru the engine. The spring that you see there should be replaced, it helps ensure that the clutch cable is tight but is most likely not causing the sticking. If you take the two screws out you should be able to pull out the cluch rod. I would guess that the rod is actually stuck or the clutch plates. Watch out and don't lose the ball bearing when the rod is removed. If when you take out the rod and it does not appear to be the part stuck then you will have to look at the clucth plates on the other side of the motor and make sure they are not stuck.
I hope this helps.
Jim

1978 KZ1000A2, 1980 KZ1000E, 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD

More
26 Jan 2014 17:44 #620160 by Britome
Replied by Britome on topic Frozen clutch cable
Thx so much. Unfortunately, I lost a ball bearing! Now I know. My two screws are also frozen. Liquid wrench isn't helping yet. I'll keep working it.

More
26 Jan 2014 18:32 #620171 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Frozen clutch cable
Regardless of anything else you do, your clutch will not function properly without the ball bearing. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Jan 2014 02:06 #620193 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic Frozen clutch cable
Did you pull out the clutch push rod? If you didn't remove the rod, your bearing is still there. Yes. Do not try to operate your clutch without it.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100

More
27 Jan 2014 03:52 #620196 by Britome
You guys are awesome. Thank you!

I have lost a total of two of what looks like 9 bearings. Seems like they are standard 1/8" steel bearings. I'll order more. I think the bearings had seized which is why it was impossible to pull the clutch lever. I'll order that spring as well.

I'm still feeling my way around this bike. I assume the rod is not the assembly I've been messing with so it is still inside the bike.

More
27 Jan 2014 05:31 #620204 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Frozen clutch cable
I think JimB is a little confused. The part you show is bolted (with two screws) to the sprocket cover, correct? The rod would fit in that hole that you see in the middle, and the ball bearing would be at the opposite end of that rod. The spring is fine, it just keeps the cable from slipping out of the hole it's in.
The ball bearing you lost were part of the release assembly, and need to be greased, and when you reassemble the clutch release you need to make sure it's clocked to the right position, or it may not have enough travel to release the clutch.
Go to kawasaki.com, or Ron Ayers, or Bike Bandit, or somewhere else and look at the illustrated parts breakdowns, they help you to see how it's assembled and in what order.

KD9JUR

More
27 Jan 2014 05:53 - 27 Jan 2014 06:00 #620207 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Frozen clutch cable
I don't know what model the op has, but if a guy has the bike on the side stand, then pulls out the clutch push rod, can the steel ball roll out? Or is it kinda captured, requiring more disassembly to loose the thing? Or does it depend upon which KZ it is? Thanks.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2014 06:00 by martin_csr.

More
27 Jan 2014 10:29 #620242 by Britome
I've got a 78 sr650. Strangely enough, there is nothing in the shop manual that talks about this release mechanism. Odd. The coaching on making sure it is "clocked to the right is very helpful.

I was just going to ask the best place to order parts. Thx for the info.

More
27 Jan 2014 10:50 #620246 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic Frozen clutch cable
Have had old dirt bikes many many years back with stuck clutch plates. Push started them and got them up to operating temps and work the clutch a little and they worked fine after that. Betting the clutch plates are stuck.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

More
27 Jan 2014 11:07 - 27 Jan 2014 11:08 #620249 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Frozen clutch cable

Britome wrote: I've got a 78 sr650. Strangely enough, there is nothing in the shop manual that talks about this release mechanism. Odd. The coaching on making sure it is "clocked to the right is very helpful.

I was just going to ask the best place to order parts. Thx for the info.

What shop manual do you have? I ask because if it is the Kawasaki Service Manual take a look under Disassembly - Engine Installed. There it shows how to disassemble and re-assemble the clutch release. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 27 Jan 2014 11:08 by 650ed.

More
27 Jan 2014 11:47 #620251 by Britome
I've got the kz650 B1 '77 service manual. I'll check it out. The rod and bearing are still where they started.

When I took out the cover, it was obvious that it was with all the mechanicals that the cable was attached to. The clutch was permanently engaged until I took the mechanism off. The arm wasn't moving back into place after the cable pulling it forward.