turned crankshaft with tensioner off.

More
20 Jan 2014 16:46 - 20 Jan 2014 16:52 #619343 by jsmey567
turned crankshaft with tensioner off. was created by jsmey567
My bike has been sitting for a while so I decided to hit the kick start a couple times softly to see if the engine had seized from sitting. I hadn't messed with the bike in a while, so I completely forgot that I had taken the cam chain tensioner off of the bike. Did I completely screw the timing, or should I not be that worried about it? I only lightly hit the kickstart twice with my hand to see if it would turn over. My bike is a 77 kz 650
Last edit: 20 Jan 2014 16:52 by jsmey567. Reason: forgot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2014 17:28 #619348 by JimB
Replied by JimB on topic turned crankshaft with tensioner off.
I am still learning about the KZ's I only have three at this point :) ,...so someone with more experience should chim in. But if you did not feel it slip a tooth you should be OK. When you install a new cam chain you turn the cams via the nut in the points cover until No1 is TDC then you tighten the tensioner. But you can always just remove the cam cover and check the alignment via the alignment arrows on the cam and the T markon the advancer,...just in case you think you might have felt a slip.
Jim

1978 KZ1000A2, 1980 KZ1000E, 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD

More
20 Jan 2014 18:50 #619363 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic turned crankshaft with tensioner off.
I would install the tensioner before doing anything else and then check the cam timing by removing the cylinder head cover and points cover and comparing the cam position to the photos in the manual with the crank set at the "T" mark. If it looks to be really close, then I would adjust the tensioner using the instructions in the manual and check again. You will need to turn the crank to a specific position to adjust the tensioner correctly. Do you have the Kawasaki Service Manual for your bike? If you don't have the manual you really should get one, just be SURE to get the one for your exact year / model as there are important differences between the 1977 KZ650 and all later KZ650 models. If you need help finding one; ask on this forum.

Also, the link below contains information that should prove helpful for you working on your bike. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Jan 2014 22:13 #619387 by steell
Replied by steell on topic turned crankshaft with tensioner off.
In 1979 when I was a lot younger and dumber, I followed the advise of a Clymer manual and did exactly that. Bent several valves in the process (two kicks). Check your valve clearances, if there is a lot of clearance then teh valves bent, if clearances are normal then you got lucky.

KD9JUR