trouble reinstalling crank in kz1000

• kamakazie1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Dec 2013 09:36 #615812 by kamakazie1000
trouble reinstalling crank in kz1000 was created by kamakazie1000
Greetings kzr community.

im finally starting to rebuild the motor on my 77 kz1000. the motor has been disassembled for a while and sitting. the crank was stored indoors and wrapped with oily rags. I installed the ape main bearing studs into the upper case, but when I tried to install the crankshaft I couldn't for the life of me get the holes on the bearings to fall into place over the dowel pins in the case. I set the crank in the upper case and rotated each outer race until it lined up but I couldn't get all of them to fall in. are there any tips or tricks or maybe something simple that I'm missing, or is this a tell tale sign that I have a bent crankshaft. before tearing the motor down it spun freely and had good compression.

Thanks for the knowledge gents

Terminal lance corporal of Marines, putting the GRUNT in disgruntled

kz1000 cafe project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2013 10:37 #615819 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic trouble reinstalling crank in kz1000
You could mark the bearing outers with marker pen opposite the holes (180 degs) so you know the holes are somewhere in the right area when the marks are lined up facing you , then while supporting one end of the crank with your hand start with the furthest away and work your way along.
You will be able to feel each pin locate and the crank will drop slightly as each pin locates.
Don't let the crank rock on a pin as it will lift off the one's you've done and you'll be back to square one.
Should only take a minute to seat the crank with this method.
I don't actually mark the bearings myself as I just feel them in as mentioned but it should make it a bit easier for you.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
18 Dec 2013 13:24 - 18 Dec 2013 13:26 #615839 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic trouble reinstalling crank in kz1000
I stored my Gpz1100 crankshaft for about 4 years in a box wrapped up with oiled rags. When I went to put the crank back on it was bent, I ended up getting another crank. The crank was true when I stored it. I did not however have your problem all the bearings went back into their respective studs with ease. On mine when I torqued the middle main bearing cap the crank would have a really tight spot when rotated.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2013 13:26 by baldy110.

• kamakazie1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Dec 2013 15:12 #615848 by kamakazie1000
Replied by kamakazie1000 on topic trouble reinstalling crank in kz1000
i managed to get it. just stepped away for a minute, drank a beer, came back and got it on the first try. thanks for input though!

Terminal lance corporal of Marines, putting the GRUNT in disgruntled

kz1000 cafe project

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
18 Dec 2013 16:07 #615853 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic trouble reinstalling crank in kz1000
Maybe, in the future all manuals should include " if it doesn't work Stop, have a beer and work on it later' . How many times has this statement been made??.
For the politically correct we should include a brand name and a statement "do not ride after repairs, get a skipper to take it for a test ride" :laugh:

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)