timing trouble

More
11 Dec 2013 06:59 #615267 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic timing trouble
You said you were checking the valve timing. Did you do anything with the valve lash at that time? Open valves (stuck open because of no clearance) would give you symptoms just like this.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2013 07:35 #615269 by SeabeeDan
Replied by SeabeeDan on topic timing trouble
Nope. I didn't actually do anything with valve timing yet, that's a little out of my skill level at this time. but ignition timing was good. I called the local shop and they said they'd diagnose it for $60 so i may have to do that after christmas

More
11 Dec 2013 08:22 - 11 Dec 2013 08:25 #615273 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic timing trouble

SeabeeDan wrote: No. it was running then I replaced the stator cover and accidentally rotated the engine. It is electronic ignition but I was adjusting valve timing.

SeabeeDan wrote: Nope. I didn't actually do anything with valve timing yet, that's a little out of my skill level at this time. but ignition timing was good. I called the local shop and they said they'd diagnose it for $60 so i may have to do that after christmas

:huh: Am supposing there's been no fiddling with valve timing, and that the ignition timing seems okay as far as you can tell.

If not already done, would spray some starting fluid into the carb intakes while attempting to crank the engine to see whether the engine will start and run momentarily.

Results of the "starting fluid test" could be helpful to further diagnosis.

Presupposing correct cam-timing, and given acceptable spark quality -- with properly timed spark -- and decent compression, and valve clearances within specs, the running issue likely stems from the carb or fuel supply to the carb.

If the engine starts and run momentarily with application of starting fluid, it's evidence pointing more to a carb and/or fuel supply issue.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Dec 2013 08:25 by Patton.

More
11 Dec 2013 08:36 #615274 by SeabeeDan
I tried that yesterday. Didn't turn over at all

More
11 Dec 2013 08:41 #615275 by Patton
Is it within the realm of possibility that the points cam was removed and thereafter replaced 180 degrees off (improperly oriented)?

This error would have the sparks appearing at the wrong time during each cylinder's cycle of strokes.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Dec 2013 08:46 #615277 by Patton
If not already done, would determine spark quality by viewing the spark on removed but otherwise attached plugs being held grounded against the engine head while spinning over the engine with the ignition switch turned ON and the kill switch in RUN position.

Look for fat blue sparks, not weak orange sparks.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Dec 2013 10:19 #615287 by SeabeeDan
That was one of the first things I checked. replaced the plugs and they have a very healthy spark