timing trouble

More
09 Dec 2013 16:05 #615134 by SeabeeDan
timing trouble was created by SeabeeDan
I have an 81 kz305 that won't start. I checked everything I knew how and it all checked out. Good spark, compression, and the carb operates properly. So my friend who is a more advanced mechanic than me took a look and said I messed up the timing. So next time I can get it into the shop I'm going to attempt to set the timing. Never worked on a bike in this much detail so kinda worried about screwing something up. has any body done this, or have any helpful hints? I'll mostly be guessing here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2013 20:10 - 09 Dec 2013 20:13 #615151 by steell
Replied by steell on topic timing trouble
If your problem is timing, it will certainly show symptoms when you tried to start it. Your timing may be off, but you have another problem that's keeping the bike from starting.

Are the spark plugs wet with fuel? No? Then you have a fuel problem.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 09 Dec 2013 20:13 by steell.

More
10 Dec 2013 07:50 #615183 by SeabeeDan
Replied by SeabeeDan on topic timing trouble
Its getting fuel. is it possible that the timing is so far off that it'll keep it from starting? I haven't been able to find any fuse box or anything on this bike either. But its all chopped up and custom now so maybe it doesnt have one

More
10 Dec 2013 08:19 #615185 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic timing trouble
I believe the 81 305 is electronic ignition and the timing is not adjustable. Has the bike been sitting for a long period with gas in the carbs?

More
10 Dec 2013 08:46 #615187 by SeabeeDan
No. it was running then I replaced the stator cover and accidentally rotated the engine. It is electronic ignition but I was adjusting valve timing.

More
10 Dec 2013 08:52 #615188 by steell
Replied by steell on topic timing trouble
Like Baldy110 said, electronic ignition is not adjustable on the KZ models.

But if it was, if everything else was good, but the timing was way off, it probably wouldn't start, but it would make itself known. It would backfire through the carbs, afterfire through the exhaust, kickback while trying to start it, or some combination of the three.

How were you adjusting valve timing?

KD9JUR

More
10 Dec 2013 09:13 #615191 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic timing trouble

SeabeeDan wrote: No. it was running then I replaced the stator cover and accidentally rotated the engine. It is electronic ignition but I was adjusting valve timing.

I respectfully suggest you double check the ignition to verify what type you have. The 1981 and 1982 KZ305 models came with points, so if yours is electronic a previous owner installed it. If that is the case, you may want to try to see if it is aftermarket or possibly a unit from a 1987 or 1988 KZ305 (or other model KZ) as this info could come in handy for future reference. Ed

Attachment 00003_2013-12-10-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
10 Dec 2013 11:38 #615209 by SeabeeDan
I'm far from an expert on these bikes, but my buddy was explaining that there is an adjustment under the cover on the right hand side

More
10 Dec 2013 11:42 #615210 by SeabeeDan
I know that the ignition isn't stock on my bike. I believe its from a different kz. Wires run from the stator cover to two coils on either side of the bike then to the plugs. I thought if it had points it would look like a distributor for a car. But like I said I'm no expert, and I love to learn. So please correct me if I'm wrong

More
10 Dec 2013 12:11 #615217 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic timing trouble
It won't look like a car distributor. The points will be under an engine cover. The link below has the manual for your bike. Take a look at it and you'll find everything you need to know about the ignition and a whole bunch of other good stuff. Ed

www.mediafire.com/view/blzzn71mzzj/Kawas...-+Service+Manual.pdf

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Dec 2013 12:14 #615218 by SeabeeDan
Awesome. I'll read through that right now. if I have any more questions I'll post em here. And I'll keep you posted

More
10 Dec 2013 16:22 #615235 by SeabeeDan
Just checked the timing and its good. This thing is giving me head aches. I can't think of any thing else that it could be