J3 engine noise, low end ?

More
22 Nov 2013 13:53 #613783 by Mk2Rookie
J3 engine noise, low end ? was created by Mk2Rookie
Hi! Got my bike running but i think it sounds very mechanical...
The noise is a short of rattle when the engine is idling but disappears when reving. I'm not sure if you can hear it in these videos, it's from my first start up and from later the same day.

I'm running a stock engine with Mikuni RS34's, K&N pods and a Mac exhaust. The carbs have NOT been tuned and after installing Dyno ignition i adjustet the timing roughly with a timing-gun/light. I've read about non-tuned engines rattles but what else to look for ? I will take the bike apart this winther (i'm in Denmark) and change the cam chain and install a manual cam chain tensioner. Any bearings i should be looking for ?

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2013 14:20 - 22 Nov 2013 14:22 #613785 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic J3 engine noise, low end ?
Bike in the first video isn't combusting on all four cylinders.

Could spray water mist on the exhaust headers just after starting the cold engine.
The mist will instantly sizzle and evaporate off headers from combusting cylinders.

A good tune-up, including carb sync, usually reduces valve train noise, even on engines that are combusting on all four cylinders.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Nov 2013 14:22 by Patton.

More
22 Nov 2013 15:04 #613789 by Mk2Rookie
Replied by Mk2Rookie on topic J3 engine noise, low end ?
So you don't think there is anything wrong? But it's never a bad idea to change the cam chain right ? And i can even do it without removing the head ?

Simon

More
22 Nov 2013 15:21 #613790 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic J3 engine noise, low end ?

Patton wrote: Bike in the first video isn't combusting on all four cylinders.

Could spray water mist on the exhaust headers just after starting the cold engine.
The mist will instantly sizzle and evaporate off headers from combusting cylinders.

A good tune-up, including carb sync, usually reduces valve train noise, even on engines that are combusting on all four cylinders.

Yeap I agree it's not firing on all four or very poorly on them. Syncing the carbs will reduce engine noise so it's not struggling and fighting itself. Pulling clutch in sometimes will slightly reduce noise.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

More
22 Nov 2013 15:28 - 22 Nov 2013 15:29 #613793 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic J3 engine noise, low end ?

Mk2Rookie wrote: So you don't think there is anything wrong? But it's never a bad idea to change the cam chain right ? And i can even do it without removing the head ?

Simon

Not yet suspecting a worn cam chain in this instance.

A good competent complete tune-up would likely resolve most if not all the issues of excess mechanical noise and rough running.

In it's current state of tune, even with a brand new cam chain, the engine would probably run just as noisy and rough as it's doing now.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Nov 2013 15:29 by Patton.