1983 KZ1100 Spectre starter problems

More
20 Nov 2013 12:14 #613552 by Hotrod624
1983 KZ1100 Spectre starter problems was created by Hotrod624
I'm having starter problems, when you try to start it, it cranks very slowly like it has a dead battery, but the battery is fully charged and I had it checked. I have bypassed the starter solenoid and it still cranks over slow. So i'm guessing this means my starter is bad?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
20 Nov 2013 12:20 #613553 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic 1983 KZ1100 Spectre starter problems
Take the starter apart, clean and lube it, see what happens.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
20 Nov 2013 12:24 #613554 by Hotrod624
Replied by Hotrod624 on topic 1983 KZ1100 Spectre starter problems
Is there any guides on doing this? Never taken apart a starter before.

• guitargeek
  • User
More
20 Nov 2013 12:29 #613556 by guitargeek
Before you go any further, you should get a factory service manual.
You'll be glad you did, and not just for this particular job...

1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
20 Nov 2013 13:31 #613560 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1983 KZ1100 Spectre starter problems
Would also examine and assure integrity of the ground connection where the negative battery cable attaches to the engine.

Am presupposing that the battery passes a load-test.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Nov 2013 14:27 #613567 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1983 KZ1100 Spectre starter problems
If the starter is bad, and you don't feel a rebuild kit will help, read this:

Using a stronger Honda starter motor in a Kawasaki

Buda from the www.kzrider.com forum wrote:

Will not turn the engine over....10.25 10 1 comp 1170 cc......took starter out and ran it with a battery....the starter spins strong but starts to squeal after a second.....also the shaft has a lot of play side to side. Bad starter I’m guessing What do you guys think?
Took the starter apart.....the bushing on the drive end is cracked

MFolks Wrote:
For a stronger starter motor, read this:
Using a Honda Mitsuba SM-220 Starter in the Kz (copied from the KZ rider website)

The CB F's used 2 different starters. Look for the one marked .8kw. They also have one that is .7kw. This owner noticed a difference when he installed his. He read that you can remove the outer housing, and rotate it. this will re-align the outer power terminal, to a better location. if you don’t do this, you will need to grind some metal from the chain cover to gain clearance. Also install a heavier gauge wire to the starter , I’d recommend 6 AWG(American Wire Gauge) welding cable with the correct terminal ends to match the treaded studs for the solenoid and starter motor. Don’t forget the cable from the battery to the solenoid.

The stock KZ starter is .6kw in size

www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-29 (Mitsuba SM-220)

Buda Wrote:
Thanks MFolks, Just ordered the rebuild kit before I read your post....If that doesn't work out I'll give the Honda starter a shot.

Got a the Honda starter MFolks recommended (SM 220 12 volt 0.8 KW) on ebay...hell of a difference.....Turns over like the plugs are missing....I'm sure the new battery doesn't hurt, but its a hell of a difference.

Gpz Eric Wrote:
The starter came from stockers - per a lead from Mfolks - good $139.00 mod - the one I got was marked .7, yet it has gobs of power. Trickiest part is spinning around the case to get the wire nut attachment at about 4 o'clock so it clears everything. I pulled off the front end of the new starter and almost dropped the internal bushings from the front end.

OnkelB Wrote: Very good tips, thanks.

Gpz Eric Wrote:

Honda Starter in GPz1100 (will also work in the Kz1000/1100’s)

I just finished installing a Mitsuba SM-220 starter in my GPz1100, and I have a little insight on this modification.

First, the bike I'm working on is my '82 GPz1100, with 35,900 km (about 22,000 miles) on it, and 500 miles since a top-end rebuild.

It cranked OK - but noticeably slower when hot.

After boring it out from 1090cc to 1136cc, and bumping the compression from 8.9:1 to 10.25:1 the started really labors to crank it over, especially when hot.

There's an old thread here by MFolks, with a link to where to buy a Mitsuba SM-220 (Honda) starter, so I spent the $139.00 and ordered one.

First, take off the footpeg mount, then pull off the chain cover/ shift lever linkage.

Take off the starter cover, and the two bolts that hold down the starter.

Wiggle/slide the starter back out of it's hole, and tip the back end of it up as high as you can, then the front end will come out where the chain cover sits.

Unbolt the wire by taking off the brass nut, and the starter is in your hand.

Holding the new starter & old starter side-by-side, they are dimensionally the same, but the wire connection is in exactly the wrong spot.

So carefully loosen up the two long bolts and take them off the new starter, being careful to not let either end of the starter fall off.

Wiggle the back end off, being careful as to not lose any spacers in there, and rotate it until the top is the top, and the wire sits at about the 4 O'clock position. Then rotate the front to match, and put in the bolts.

Make sure that the threaded holes for the starter cover are both on the top, because I neglected this, and had to take the bolts out and re-do it. Put it back together, and if yours is like mine, it now spins over like I forgot the spark plugs -

Zed 1015 wrote:
The earlier KZ900/1000 with kickstart has a two (2) brush starter motor and fitting the later J/GPZ (non kickstart) starter is an upgrade for these as they are four (4) brush. The .8kw Honda starter is usually a benefit on engines that have had a compression increase or big bore. All years of KZ and GPZ will take the Honda starter. The standard kz or GPZ starter is good enough though for std engines if kept in good condition.

Ed Spangler Wrote:
Intriguing!! Please forgive me for asking what may be obvious ( Im OLD.. thats my excuse) But....what year Honda starter and what year Kawi? have a '75 Z1-B 900 myself...so what year etc. Honda starter would fit mine?
Thanks.

Gpz Eric Wrote:
zed1015 is correct - the GPz starter had four brushes.
I took mine apart, and it still has plenty of brushes left, good spring pressure on them too, but the commutator isn't shiny copper anymore, it's scorched & black, and I suspect that if I take the starter over to the tool repair shop that the windings have broken down. The starter I put in has two brushes, where the stocker has four, so we'll see how long it lasts - if I get only 15 years out of it instead of 30 it'll be OK with me -

Zed 1015 Wrote:
The scorching on the commutator is common and usually caused by arcing.
A clean up with emery cloth (or if scored, a light skim on the lathe)and then lightly under cut the mica insulation between the segments should restore proper function.

Gpz Eric Wrote:
So whaddya think, do you suppose it's worthwhile to rebuild it, and put it away for down the road ? I can match up the brushes, and I've got a 6" Atlas Copco lathe in the basement - but if I throw the armature on the growler and it's been damaged by the heat I doubt I could find another one -

Zed 1015 Wrote:
Yes! it's worth doing. You have nothing to loose especially if you think it's damaged anyhow. I've salvaged loads that looked like scrap and wouldn't even turn.
If the commutator is scored then a just enough of a very light skim of the copper segments to produce a clean smooth surface for the brushes to run on then carefully cut back the mica insulation between the segments with a section of fine hacksaw blade.
Flush out the armature and body with brake cleaner then a very light smear of copper grease etc in the plain bearings on reassembly.
The windings rarely burn out under normal use and the usual cause of that is someone using jumper leads from a car battery to start the bike.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 Nov 2013 17:01 #613578 by Hotrod624
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks guys for all the comments so far. Will this one work?

More
20 Nov 2013 17:39 #613582 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic 1983 KZ1100 Spectre starter problems
I don't know if that one is right, I thought it had to be off a 900? I can't read the back plate where you should see the .8 in that ebay ad.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

More
20 Nov 2013 17:43 #613583 by Hotrod624
I'm not wanting to drop a lot of money on it right now, just enough to get it running.

More
20 Nov 2013 20:57 - 20 Nov 2013 21:25 #613592 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic 1983 KZ1100 Spectre starter problems
I've parked on inclines in order to roll-start my bike easier. Plenty of hills around here. Its kind of a pain, but cheaper that way. You just look like an idiot, that's all. ;)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 20 Nov 2013 21:25 by daveo.

• guitargeek
  • User
More
20 Nov 2013 21:44 #613593 by guitargeek
Or you could just take the starter apart and clean it. It's not that hard to get to, and once you get it out, there's just two bolts holding it together. Pay attention to how it comes apart, take a picture every time you remove something. Use a Sharpie, make alignment marks so it goes back together the same way. The trickiest part is keeping the brushes in their little spring-loaded boxes.
Google around a bit, you'll see that your starter is put together in much the same way most others are.

1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
20 Nov 2013 22:43 #613594 by Hotrod624
Do you think I should get a rebuild kit for it? I just don't want to drop 140.00 on a starter at the moment. I've seen the rebuild kit for 30.00. I have already had the starter off, just nervous about taking it apart.