valve clearance

More
05 Oct 2013 02:10 #608834 by dady619
valve clearance was created by dady619
hi can anyone tell me what it the valve clearance for a kz750e motor its a 4cylinder i am only getting 75pis out of 3 and 100psi out 4 thanks heaps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2013 02:30 #608836 by dady619
Replied by dady619 on topic valve clearance
i just dropped the oil and filled 3 and 4 bore with fuel and it is now dripping out my sump plug rings stuffed ????

More
05 Oct 2013 03:55 #608838 by dady619
im stumped don't no if i have a ring prob or valve prob intake was all .oo3 and ex .004

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
05 Oct 2013 09:33 #608845 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic valve clearance

dady619 wrote: i just dropped the oil and filled 3 and 4 bore with fuel and it is now dripping out my sump plug rings stuffed ????

Rings do have a gap where the ends meet, so a light liquid would run through those.
When you did the compression test, was it a warm or cold engine? Either way you need to hold the throttle open when testing. You can add a bit of oil to the cylinder and then do the compression test. It will increase with the oil, then as it to is pushed out of the cylinder, the pressure will drop again.
Best to do a Leak Down Test. This is putting the cylinder at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke, and adding compressed air to the cylinder. Using a Cylinder leak Down Tester, gauge/ gauges for the Air Pressure control, you will see what percentage the cylinder holds, and then be able to listen to air escaping to find a bad Valve/ Rings/ Head Gasket.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
05 Oct 2013 09:39 #608846 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic valve clearance

dady619 wrote: im stumped don't no if i have a ring prob or valve prob intake was all .oo3 and ex .004

Those #'s should be Ok. Always check though.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
05 Oct 2013 10:15 #608850 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic valve clearance
A leak down test injects air pressure through the spark plug hole to pressurize the combustion chamber.

Can perform a poor man's leak down test by introducing compressed air into a spark plug hole and listening to where it escapes from the combustion clamber. This may be done at TDC or any other cam positions where both valves are fully closed. Top dead center (TDC) is when the piston is at its highest position. An easy way to tell TDC is by alignment of the T mark with the case mark when viewed through the timing window.

May introduce a spurt of compressed air by using a rubber cone-tip blow gun (rubber air nozzle) held into the spark plug hole. And of course keep holding it in position to keep air from coming back out the spark plug hole while listening for escaping air at other places. The air compressor should not be running while listening because the noise will likely drown out any sound of escaping air.

Air heard escaping from exhaust port indicates exhaust valve not fully closing (perhaps too tight clearance or damaged valve or valve seat).

Air heard escaping from carb intake indicates intake valve not fully closing (perhaps too tight clearance or damaged valve or valve seat).

Air heard escaping from crankcase breather indicates loss of compression past rings into crankcase (perhaps worn piston rings or cylinders).

Air heard escaping from head gasket area indicates indicates loss of compression past head gasket (perhaps due to a blown head gasket).

A leaking valve may sometimes be resolved by adjusting the clearance to within specs.

A leaking head gasket may sometimes be resolved by torquing the head fasteners when the engine is stone cold (such as after sitting overnight).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Oct 2013 10:39 - 05 Oct 2013 10:49 #608853 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic valve clearance

dady619 wrote: i just dropped the oil and filled 3 and 4 bore with fuel and it is now dripping out my sump plug rings stuffed ????

Are you serious - you really did that to your engine? :blink: Yikes!

Of course the fuel will run out. If there was an absolute metal to metal seal with no ring gap the pistons would not be able to move up and down in the cylinders.

The bigger question is, what is the affect of flushing the bottom end of your engine (bearings, etc.) with gasoline and how much gasoline is now lurking in the nooks and crannies of the engine? Gasoline will wash oil off parts better than anything known to man, so pouring that much gasoline through the engine will have removed the lubricating oil from anything it came in contact with including bearings, gears, bushings, etc. If it was mine, I would refill the engine with oil, remove the spark plugs and crank the engine many times a few seconds at a time, drain that contaminated oil, and repeat the procedure again before ever trying to start the engine.

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 05 Oct 2013 10:49 by 650ed.

More
05 Oct 2013 16:42 - 05 Oct 2013 16:46 #608867 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic valve clearance

650ed wrote: The bigger question is, what is the affect of flushing the bottom end of your engine (bearings, etc.) with gasoline and how much gasoline is now lurking in the nooks and crannies of the engine?

+1

I recommend a complete drain and then use the kick starter to pump the internal oil out. Then refill with oil and run until warm then drain again.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Oct 2013 16:46 by bountyhunter.

More
05 Oct 2013 20:08 #608886 by dady619
il be flushing it out a few times thanks

More
06 Oct 2013 23:08 #609018 by dady619
well he air test and I found it was leaking out the number 3 outlet valve so looks like a pull down would you recommend new ring as well as the head will be off anyway ? thanks for the help :)

More
06 Oct 2013 23:13 #609020 by dady619
before I pull it down what are my chances that the valve could free its self up and sit back in place with a good ride ? the bike has sat for 6 years

More
08 Oct 2013 18:48 #609287 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic valve clearance
What's the clearance measurement for #3 exhaust valve?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD