Crankshaft Breather?

More
23 Sep 2013 23:53 #607510 by striderx240
Crankshaft Breather? was created by striderx240
So about 2-3 years ago, I posted on this site about my bike(1983 kz750 four) not working. Got frustrated and left it to rust and collect dust. Fast forward to now, I want to get her to tip-top running condition and maybe cafe style if possible as a winter project. Haven't done much yet, but today I pulled the carbs out so I can clean them out. After I took them out I noticed a tube running into the crankcase, a quick look at the manual says it's the crankcase breather? My question, my current set up, is that fine? The tube was initially running through an air box, but I plan to replace it with pod filters.

Attachment IMG_20130923_191051_926.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2013 01:07 #607521 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Crankshaft Breather?

May attach an open-ended hose to the crankcase breather and route it to exit underneath the bike.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: striderx240

More
24 Sep 2013 01:11 #607523 by Patton

striderx240 wrote: ...1983 kz750 four)... Got frustrated... initially running through an air box, but I plan to replace it with pod filters....

Pods on CV carbs will likely add more frustration. :pinch:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Sep 2013 01:24 #607524 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Crankshaft Breather?
K&N also sells crankcase breather filters if you like the look of them. Routing the hose to the ground as Patton suggested is the easier and less expensive option

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
24 Sep 2013 01:26 #607525 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Crankshaft Breather?
They make a small breather that will attach to the nipple on the engine cover also. I run a breather hose from that cover up and back to rear of bike. If you route it under bike, try to route it so if any oil does enter that hose, it doesn't end up under rear tire. The upper hose was just part of the emission system and will run fine without it. Some will use where it attaches to valve cover as breathers for the engine to relieve any pressure build-up or you can run a hose between the two covers to seal it off. They make solid covers to replace the stock one for some bikes but not sure for the 750.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
24 Sep 2013 08:26 #607555 by striderx240
Replied by striderx240 on topic Crankshaft Breather?
I forgot how awesome this forum is! Thanks. :) I like the look of the k&n filters, but I might just reroute to save a couple bucks. To be clear, I remove the entire top area? Seems weird to me. Also, Patton, why are pods filters bad on those carbs?

More
24 Sep 2013 09:10 #607560 by Patton

striderx240 wrote: I forgot how awesome this forum is! Thanks. :) I like the look of the k&n filters, but I might just reroute to save a couple bucks. To be clear, I remove the entire top area? Seems weird to me. Also, Patton, why are pods filters bad on those carbs?

Breather cap remains fully intact without removing anything except the stock rubber hose that runs from the breather cap outlet nipple to the airbox.

CV carbs with pods are notoriously difficult to properly tune for maximum performance potentials throughout their full throttle range.

Am not a fan of the accessory filter for crankcase breather. Because imo it's basically a superfluous item that serves no useful purpose (besides looking stupid :lol:). Also, the filter will inevitably clog and restrict free crankcase breathing. And will allow water passage if not shielded when washing the bike.

I see that filter and automatically classify the owner among those who fit "hotter spark plugs" to better accommodate their own self-image as hot-shoe riders. :woohoo:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Sep 2013 10:03 #607571 by striderx240
Replied by striderx240 on topic Crankshaft Breather?
I'll just stay with the air box then. Another question, the previous owner had installed a makeshift air filter(t-shirt wrap) :ohmy: and had the crankcase breather shoot into the air filter. Besides the shirt, is that normal?

More
24 Sep 2013 10:40 #607574 by Patton

striderx240 wrote: I'll just stay with the air box then. Another question, the previous owner had installed a makeshift air filter(t-shirt wrap) :ohmy: and had the crankcase breather shoot into the air filter. Besides the shirt, is that normal?

Could check with Z1 Enterprises for the appropriate air filter element.
www.z1enterprises.com/

And perhaps review the various component parts included in the stock air filter to assure having what's needed.

Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Sep 2013 10:56 - 24 Sep 2013 10:57 #607575 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Crankshaft Breather?
The air box has a small tube on the bottom that will attach to the crankcase. It looks like yours has been removed and replaced with a different hose

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"
Last edit: 24 Sep 2013 10:57 by nickleo373.