engine leaks

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
06 Sep 2013 21:32 - 06 Sep 2013 21:39 #605278 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic engine leaks
I would say its leaking at the cylinder/head gasket in red. The yellow arrow shows a bolt that can come loose and cause a leak. On these bikes don't over torque the 6mm bolts anywhere on engine. You will blow out the threads. You must use proper torque specs....be carful with sparkplug threads.

Attachment IMG-20130906-00003640x480.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Sep 2013 21:39 by 4TheKZ1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2013 23:59 #605461 by gwolever
Replied by gwolever on topic engine leaks
Koolaid Kid is right about that. The head gasket is pretty cheap, but the time and effort to do it isn't if you have a shop do it.

I replaced my head gasket on my rebuild, but I was tearing down the engine anyway.

You will need to pull your engine, which sucks, but if you are even somewhat mechanically inclined and have a quality repair manual and a whole lot of time, you can do it yourself.

4TheKZ1000 is right too. Be careful with those engine bolts. If you don't have a torque wrench yet, get one for this job.

I personally would suggest you do it yourself. Not just because it is soooo much cheaper, but also for the experience of working on your own bike. Just have the right tools/equipment ready, and keep all those bolts and nuts organized.

Good luck, and make sure if you do take on this gasket job, the guys on this site are really helpful and know their stuff.

1982 KZ1000 CSR

More
08 Sep 2013 09:54 #605512 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic engine leaks
gwolever, does he have to pull the engine? I am not familiar with that particular model, but I was able to install the head on my GPz with the engine in the frame. It was a PITA, but I was able to do it.
AFA doing it yourself, you are correct on the experience. Plus it provides the opportunity for tool acquisition. I rationalize that if I spend half what I would have paid a shop on tools, in the end I have both the experience and the additional tools, both of which stay around forever.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
08 Sep 2013 10:05 #605515 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic engine leaks
I would say it all depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Ive seen some people who shouldnt touch there bikes with a ten foot pole lol. But the experince is good. i wouldnt think you should have to pull the motor. Ive took my head on and off on my 1000 quite a few times over the years. Also in the first picture it almost looks like your cam end cap on the valve cover maybe be leaking slightly also.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now