wrapping exhaust pipes

More
06 Aug 2013 22:21 #600168 by gravyl17
wrapping exhaust pipes was created by gravyl17
I was thinking of wrapping the exhaust pipes on my 1978 KZ650. It is more for the look than any performance enhancing properties. Anyone have any views on the pros and cons. Ive heard wrapping can promote corrosion which will quickly rust out your pipes. Ive also read that the wraps keep alot of heat in the pipes which can result in engine damage. Ive also read that the extra heat helps burn off more of the exhaust gases better? Not sure what to do, would like some input from the forum and see what the general view is........THANKS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2013 22:48 #600173 by nitrokeeb
Replied by nitrokeeb on topic wrapping exhaust pipes
After having done this three times on my Sportster, I can tell you it's a pain! You have to pull the wrap tight the whole time you're wrapping and will get a very sore wrist. It's also a pain to get it to wrap evenly around any bends in the pipe. Get the 1" wrap to make the transitions easier.

Before the last wrap, you could tell the chrome on the pipes was getting nasty. It has a bad habit of soaking up moisture and oil. So to keep it nice as long as possible, I suggest painting the wrap afterwards. Should seal it up and keep any moisture out.

Attachment IMG_0187.JPG not found

I wrapped the pipes one last time to get her ready to sell. Put it up on craigslist this Sunday. No room in the garage with a new KZ work on.

1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine
Attachments:

More
07 Aug 2013 00:20 - 07 Aug 2013 00:23 #600204 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic wrapping exhaust pipes
I had mine wrapped and loved the look. They are a pain to keep clean depending on the color. I was told that it is bad for the headers, the heat has no place to go. I'm told it can eventually cause the headers to get pin holes then eventually disintegrate. I looked at a few websites that support this theory. If I remember correctly one of the hearder manufacturers states wraps will void warranty.
Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

I removed mine after some of the wrap started to look tattered. I plan on having mine powder coated.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Last edit: 07 Aug 2013 00:23 by kaw-a-holic.

More
07 Aug 2013 11:07 #600264 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic wrapping exhaust pipes
They do tend to hold moisture, which leads to rusting the pipes. If your pipes are already rusty, I'd say go for it if you like the look. Otherwise, it's just a matter of are you willing to sacrifice the set of pipes. After a couple of years, you may end up needing to replace them from the holes kaw-a-holic mentions. But it shouldn't hurt anything else.

I'll wrap pipes if it's already a rough set, and if I think it works with the style of that bike. If the pipes are in decent shape, I never do, just because I don't want to mess up a good set and have to buy new ones.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
08 Aug 2013 12:47 #600411 by pburnhamb
Replied by pburnhamb on topic wrapping exhaust pipes
Mine were a bit rusty when i wrapped em 5 yrs ago. Theyre still working fine. I suggest the 1 inch wrap also and take your time and make sure its tight. Use DEI header wrap. 100 ft roll . They sell a spray on sealant too.make sure u coat it good and they will last. U dont wanna take the Header bak off to fix it. Get a cold sixer and do it in your lazyboy. Good luck. Dont forget the stainless hoseclamp for the end...dont waste ur $ on the stainlrss zipties

1978 kz650b (810, 750 head)
1976 kz900
1977 xs650

More
08 Aug 2013 18:19 #600466 by nitrokeeb
Replied by nitrokeeb on topic wrapping exhaust pipes
I got the stainless zip ties with my last set of pipe wrap. They seem to work fine. If you want to find them cheaper, you can buy a pack of them at Home Depot. I think they are in the electrical section.

1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine

More
08 Aug 2013 20:17 #600482 by steell
Replied by steell on topic wrapping exhaust pipes
Anyone have any experience wrapping stainless or titanium headers?

KD9JUR

More
09 Aug 2013 01:39 #600540 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic wrapping exhaust pipes

nitrokeeb wrote: I got the stainless zip ties with my last set of pipe wrap. They seem to work fine. If you want to find them cheaper, you can buy a pack of them at Home Depot. I think they are in the electrical section.

Harbor Freight has them for even cheaper. 10 to a bag.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
09 Aug 2013 10:38 #600575 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic wrapping exhaust pipes
The only bike I bought with wrap on the pipes became a pain in the butt when trying to remove the exhaust. The exhaust flanges wouldn't move back over the wrap without removing a clamp - and then the wrap came loose... not good.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
10 Aug 2013 13:34 #600691 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic wrapping exhaust pipes
Instead of wrapping my Kerker, I got a pipe from a ZR-7: Double-wall insulated stainless steel!

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"