1976 kz750 twin engine seizing and un seizing

More
28 Jul 2013 19:42 #598761 by schand_08
I have a 76 kz 750twin. I am currently have problems with it thinking it wants to lock up. As I am riding it, it will bog down and if I pull the clutch it will instantly die. when it does if I go to kick start it. it is extremely tight but I can get it to start but I have to keep the throttle on to over power the engine sticking. I havetaken the generator cover off to check to see if anything could be stopping it andnothing that I saw. PLEASE HELP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2013 20:34 #598766 by steell
If you have access to a bore sight, you can run the pistons to bdc and take a look at the cylinder walls through the spark plug holes.

Alternatively, take the top end off the motor and inspect the cylinder walls and pistons. If no obvious signs of damage, pull the rest of the motor from the frame, split the cases, and look at the bearings and crank.

I would expect the motor to knock if it was the crank and bearings, so it's probably the pistons and cylinders.

KD9JUR

More
28 Jul 2013 20:42 #598767 by steell

schand_08 wrote: I just had this problem recently. starter clutched locked up and was pulling started. I took the chain and sprocket off. and just kick start every time.

Just saw that post in another thread, and unless you plugged the oil hole in the crank that was under the sprocket, that is probably the cause of your current problem.

If you are talking about removing the "starter" sprocket, then 'Never Mind" :P

KD9JUR

More
28 Jul 2013 22:09 #598786 by 650ed
Have you checked the oil? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nebr_Rex, wireman

More
29 Jul 2013 08:23 - 29 Jul 2013 08:27 #598851 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 1976 kz750 twin engine seizing and un seizing
Possibly slipped cam bearing causing the bind...
Pop the sparkies out...
Remove the valve cover....

Visually inspect for slipped cam bearing....

Have you checked the timing chain adjuster for binding...?

1) w/timing adjuster in, rotate the crankshaft manually (ignition plate, not small bolt, Twin 750 so may be different follow manuals directions)
Don't brute strength turn, she should spin with slight force but nothing drastic...
She bind, hard to turn....?

2) Remove timing adjuster in, rotate the crankshaft manually (ignition plate, not small bolt)
Don't brute strength turn, she should spin with slight force but nothing drastic...
She bind, hard to turn....?

Just me but if it were me, pull the head off and find the route of the problem before she really goes bad....

Check all timing components for breakage/binding. With the head off, the crank should spin easily when pulling the timing chain.... Keep the slack off the chain and and in pulling the chain, spin forward/clockwise towards the front of the engine to see if the pistons are binding.....

If pistons binding, possibly piston ring has jumped it's groove thus binding...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 29 Jul 2013 08:27 by Old Man Rock.

More
29 Jul 2013 09:35 #598861 by Patton
Is there any indication that the engine has become over-heated when beginning to lock up and bog down?

When cold, does the engine crank and run in a relatively normal manner for a short while before beginning to lock up and bog down?

Has any top end work been recently performed on the engine?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Jul 2013 12:27 #598888 by schand_08
Replied by schand_08 on topic 1976 kz750 twin engine seizing and un seizing
I didn't do any performance mods. Just had the carbs rebuilt. I removed the sprocket in the starter only and the chain. I've had my dad helping look and he knows a little bit about bikes. We couldn't think of anything. I'm not so sure it actually seizing. It could be dieing and just still running due to momentum.

More
29 Jul 2013 13:18 #598903 by Patton

schand_08 wrote: ...76 kz 750twin...it is extremely tight but I can get it to start but I have to keep the throttle on to over power the engine sticking....

When the engine is stone cold, does it kick over normally, same as a healthy engine, without seeming excessively tight?

Or does the engine always seem excessively tight -- cold or warm or hot -- regardless of its temperature?

In other words, does the excessive engine tightness occur only at normal or above normal operating temperatures?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Jul 2013 14:57 #598913 by steell
OMR, the Kawasaki KZ twins and small fours don't have separate cam bearings, the cams ride directly on the aluminum.

Need more info, as requested by others.

KD9JUR

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
29 Jul 2013 15:54 #598932 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic 1976 kz750 twin engine seizing and un seizing
Kinked fuel hose? Gas Cap vent plugged? The reason I ask if you are having mechanical problems I would think there would be some engine noise involved.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
29 Jul 2013 16:30 - 29 Jul 2013 16:31 #598943 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1976 kz750 twin engine seizing and un seizing

Old Man Rock wrote: Possibly slipped cam bearing causing the bind...
Pop the sparkies out...
Remove the valve cover....

My 79 KZ750 twin does not have any cam bearings.

Starter clutch OK?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 29 Jul 2013 16:31 by bountyhunter.