NPR ring install question? No mark on top ring

More
22 Jul 2013 21:11 #597784 by K.D. HART
I bought a set of NPR piston rings for my 1974 Z1. Part# 13008-5012 (No instructions/ebay)
My problem is, the top ring has (no markings or bevel) to indicate what way is up????
The second ring has a "N" for the top side and the oil ring is no problem.

Can anyone help????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2013 21:24 #597786 by Patton
From FSM --

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
22 Jul 2013 23:22 #597805 by K.D. HART
Replied by K.D. HART on topic NPR ring install question? No mark on top ring
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Patton wrote: From FSM --

Patton,
Thanks, but I know that much.
These rings are similar, but not the same as what you posted.

I can't see any chamfer/bevel or mark on my "top ring" and Hastings says it can go either way then. www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/compress...ing_installation.htm

The second ring is like a Napier, but with the step in the ring groove instead of on the face.
I know how the second ring goes though. It has a "N" marked on it.

I just need to know from someone who has used these rings how the top one goes for sure.
NPR rings Part#13008-5012

More
23 Jul 2013 09:41 - 24 Jul 2013 18:20 #597846 by Patton
The FSM diagram would presumably depict KHI's oem rings (Kawaski's stock rings).

Unfortunately not a direct answer to the question at hand, but info in the following linked articles -- perhaps already reviewed -- seems consistent with Hastings' saying the top ring can go either way.

www.hastingsmfg.com/Race_Catalog_Pdfs/Piston_Ring_Functions.pdf

www.google.com/search?q=piston+ring+shap...sAQ&biw=1013&bih=455

www.sinodiesel.com/index.php?option=com_...l-article&Itemid=101

If close examination reveals no perceptible difference of shape on the inside or outside of the top ring (no slant, bevel, groove, rabbet cut, etc.), and there is no marking to indicate a top or bottom, and orientation of the top ring isn't addressed in the manufacturer's installation instructions, it would logically make no difference which side of the top ring is installed facing up.

Reportedly, NPR is a company that Toyota, Mitsu and others use for their oem parts.
Am not seeing on NPR's website a phone number for tech inquiries.

In any event, it would be nice to hear a manufacturer specifically say that it doesn't matter which side of the top ring faces up.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 Jul 2013 18:20 by Patton.

More
24 Jul 2013 11:43 #598056 by z1wiz
Kenny, call z1enterprises. They told me those rings are the same ones they sell. I'm sure they can help you. When are we doing the assembly?
Russ

Over 30 years with z1's, Currently down to only one 75, a j model dragbike, and 2 KZ1000 dragbikes.

More
29 Jul 2013 10:11 #598869 by K.D. HART
Replied by K.D. HART on topic NPR ring install question? No mark on top ring

z1wiz wrote: Kenny, call z1enterprises. They told me those rings are the same ones they sell. I'm sure they can help you. When are we doing the assembly?
Russ

I did call Jeff Saunders. He said to take two top rings and lay them side by side on a flat surface and see if there is any gap between the two ring surfaces. If none is present, it doesn't matter the direction they are installed.

More
29 Jul 2013 11:43 #598883 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: