Clacking noise from left side of motor

More
25 Jul 2013 07:07 #598175 by kz1100warrior
Replied by kz1100warrior on topic Clacking noise from left side of motor
Hi, did you recently break a chain while riding. I have a 1000j to, broke chain while riding, tore my inner casing...repced with new chain, back and front sprockets. It now does the exact same thing as you describe, a clanking noise from inside the gearhub lower casing. I have checked everything that i can with out stripping, but cant find anything that is loose on the outside. What i reckon it is, a bolt loose or something inside the gear shaft. Mine happens when i pull away and going slowly, when going above 60km noise goes away (well i think so, cant hear when at that speed.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2013 09:15 #598183 by Beaner242
Replied by Beaner242 on topic Clacking noise from left side of motor
I didnt break a chain but my front sprocket did come off. Mine only does it above 30 MPH. And if i pull the clutch in it stops. i think i figured out how to get the clutch basket out so im going back in tonight. will report any thing i find.

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

More
25 Jul 2013 23:24 #598301 by Beaner242
Pulled the clutch basket off. Nothing wrong there. Pulled the carbs and took the chain tensioner off cleaned it and reinstalled it. Put the clutch cover back on and ran out of time. I have to put the left cover on and well see how it goes??????

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

More
31 Jul 2013 22:00 #599327 by Beaner242
After pulling both side plates and the chain tensioner the noise is still there. I dont know where to go from here other than the trans shaft or something in there?

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

More
01 Aug 2013 01:16 #599363 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Clacking noise from left side of motor
Does the noise come from front left or rear left....can you tell? One cheap but effective way to narrow the noise down is use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, fat end in the ear and business end on different parts of the motor. If noise is from rear left then check the output shaft bearing as it may have sustained damage when your sprocket came off, if from front check your charging components. Another way to get a partial picture is to pull off the oil pan and have a look from underneath the motor. Good luck :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
01 Aug 2013 09:50 #599390 by Beaner242
Thanks bluezbike. I would try the screwdriver trick but it only does it while im riding it. I dont think that would work to well LOL

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

More
01 Aug 2013 13:22 #599413 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Clacking noise from left side of motor
Too true, don't try that :whistle: . Gives you another clue though....the noise may be in the drivetrain while under way so gearbox and related parts may be the culprit.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
12 Aug 2013 10:19 #600998 by Beaner242
:P :P :P :P :P Drum roll please!!!!! And the answer is CHAIN SLAP. After using a lift to get the tire off the ground and a little help to hold the bike steady, I have found the noise and fixed it. I guess since someone put a bigger sprocket on the front I have even less room for the chain between the sprocket and the case. After tightening the chain more the noise has vanished. WOOO HOOO!

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

More
12 Aug 2013 12:07 #601015 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Clacking noise from left side of motor
Congrats on finding an easy fix.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.