KZ1000 B3

More
19 Jul 2013 13:33 #597304 by woodsy
KZ1000 B3 was created by woodsy
Having a bit of trouble with the idle, either 2000 revs or will sit at 1000 and gradually die, we have done everything you can think of, its got batter since we checked the timing but not brilliant, finally did a compression test today and all pot are 85 - 90 ish getting to the top reading after a few turns, we put some oil in pot no 1 and it jumped straight to 100 in 2 compresses (turns ) no thje question is, given that i rebuilt the head, lapped valves, had a kwak dealer do the shims so valves should be perfect, the bike was running fine before the head rebuild, i did take off the barrels to have them bead blasted so dekoked the pistons, i just wondering if cleaning out the grooves where the rings sit may have caused rings that were ok before cleaning to be loose and worn now they dont have a bed of carbon to sit on in the grooves of the piston
would people agree it probably need a new set of rings, the bike has done 25,000 miles and the original honing marks are still just about visible in the barrels so i dont think they barrels are worn, any advice please before i spend £160 in 4 sets of rings, thanks :)

KZ 1000 B3 ltd - Imported from USA in 1994 - Live in Cornwall UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2013 13:38 #597307 by woodsy
Replied by woodsy on topic KZ1000 B3
Ps. Its not smoking from the exhaust

More
19 Jul 2013 14:21 #597311 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000 B3

woodsy wrote: Having a bit of trouble with the idle, either 2000 revs or will sit at 1000 and gradually die, we have done everything you can think of, its got batter since we checked the timing but not brilliant, finally did a compression test today and all pot are 85 - 90 ish getting to the top reading after a few turns, we put some oil in pot no 1 and it jumped straight to 100 in 2 compresses (turns ) no thje question is, given that i rebuilt the head, lapped valves, had a kwak dealer do the shims so valves should be perfect, the bike was running fine before the head rebuild, i did take off the barrels to have them bead blasted so dekoked the pistons, i just wondering if cleaning out the grooves where the rings sit may have caused rings that were ok before cleaning to be loose and worn now they dont have a bed of carbon to sit on in the grooves of the piston
would people agree it probably need a new set of rings, the bike has done 25,000 miles and the original honing marks are still just about visible in the barrels so i dont think they barrels are worn, any advice please before i spend £160 in 4 sets of rings, thanks :)

Could result from air leak at carb holders, and/or dirty pilot circuits, and/or carbs out of sync or mal-adjusted pilot screws, and/or insufficient (too tight) valve clearances (would check'em again anyhow to confirm being within specs), and/or hanging timing advancer (lube weight arm pivots via access through the timing window).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodsy

More
19 Jul 2013 18:09 #597343 by woodsy
manifolds were leaking, that was sorted, pilots sorted earlier, put new float valves and needles in, had car oil in , changed to bike oil, carbs have been synced, advance and retard lubed and working fine

Just took it for a blast this evening, idle is perfect on side stand and dies off when you lift the bike upright, so thinking float heights possible, if its rings they're gonna have to wait for winter

going for a 500 mile road trip this weekend so if anything is gonna break it will lol :)

More
19 Jul 2013 18:14 - 19 Jul 2013 18:21 #597344 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ1000 B3

woodsy wrote: ....................... idle is perfect on side stand and dies off when you lift the bike upright, so thinking float heights possible

You should do the clear tube test with the bike on the center stand to see exactly where the fuel levels are in each carb. Below is a link describing the test - easy to do and accurate. It does not sound like rings. When you did the compression test was the engine fully warmed up, all spark plugs out, and the throttle all the way open? If not, the readings are not reliable. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/580335-homead...at-level-tool#580344

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 18:21 by 650ed.

More
19 Jul 2013 19:26 #597359 by woodsy
yeah, comp test was done properly

More
19 Jul 2013 20:49 #597368 by richrand
Replied by richrand on topic KZ1000 B3
you said "had a kwak dealer do the shims so valves should be perfect, "

I strongly second Patton that you should check these yourself. Then do a clear-tube test. Real (as opposed to bench) float height really makes a difference and it's the only way to measure it.