KZ 650 Clutch/Power Transmission Question

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
14 Jul 2013 14:51 - 14 Jul 2013 14:56 #596453 by Forrest
I picked up a very low mileage KZ 650 B-1 back in 2009. It only had 1,745 miles on the odo when acquired. It even had the original 1976 mold date tires on it! I now have 5,300 miles on this beauty! My question regarding the clutch and power transmission is this:

The bike on releasing the clutch in 1st gear seems to slip OR just feels geared high. I need to feed out the clutch gradually and roll on throttle more than I would think is needed. Note, this has been the way with this KZ since owning. That may look like a normal description but it seem to me that I need to feather the clutch/throttle more than is needed. The bike shifts in all gears fine and rarely do I have any slippage or false neutrals. Power once under way is good and not an issue.

I am just wondering if one of these two areas should be my focus or order of priority on diagnosing:
1) The Clutch Release Mechanism; could it need adjustment? How easy is this? The Clymer Manual describes removal, inspection and installation but leaves a lot of room diagnosing or troubleshooting.
OR
2) The the original clutch plates due to their 36/37 year old age; Should they be replaced? I would think the fiber plates could be in need but the steel plates should be ok.

The Clutch has been adjusted by yours truly as well as an experienced vintage tuner with no comment on Clutch Release Mechanism problems or Clutch Plate degradation due to age. I just can't help but think the clutch release into gear seems a bit vague and requires more input than needed. Plus, Any thoughts on original clutch plates on low mileage KZs? I am used to more modern bikes with more progressive positive clutch feel/release. Please tell me, am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: 14 Jul 2013 14:56 by Forrest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2013 16:54 #596476 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ 650 Clutch/Power Transmission Question
With that low mileage the clutch plates should be fine - age doesn't seem to bother them. What oil are you using? The oil container should be marked JASO-MA. If not, the friction modifiers in automotive oils can make the clutch slip. If the friction plates have been contaminated with the wrong oil cleaning rather than replacing them may be a an option. However, before going there be absolutely certain the clutch is properly adjusted.

The clutch release mechanism doesn't have an adjustment other than the adjusting screw that pushes the clutch pushrod. When you adjusted the clutch did you adjust that screw, then the central cable adjuster, and then the lever? If not, that should be done using the instructions in the Kawasaki Service Manual (I don't know what Clymer says to do). Let me know if you need those instructions.

The clutch lever should be easy to pull in. If it is not, the cable and the release mechanism may need to be lubed. Ed

Attachment IMG_6766.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
14 Jul 2013 21:37 #596521 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic KZ 650 Clutch/Power Transmission Question
Thanks for the tips Ed. I have been running 10W40 grade Repsol, motorcycle specific oil for the last 3 changes. The bike sat for years in a shop. The original owner had died. I can only assume the oil from the oil change after the initial break in period sat in this bike for the better part of 32 years. There may have been an automotive grade oil used when I first acquired.

The clutch lever pulls in easily enough. The clutch adjustment procedure is a great suggestion. I will follow this first and see if this helps. Thanks again!

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!